AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2007 M5 with a real manual transmission (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=70708)

LSW July 26th 06 08:19 AM

2007 M5 with a real manual transmission

Is BMW coming out with a true manual transmission in the 2007 M5? Some
magazines say so, but dealers
people say they have not heard that this going to happen. Has anyone heard
if it is really happening and if so when will they be available?

Thank you for any help.

Dave Plowman (News) July 26th 06 09:29 PM

2007 M5 with a real manual transmission

In article <63cfe03be6970@uwe>,
LSW <u24529@uwe> wrote:
> Is BMW coming out with a true manual transmission in the 2007 M5? Some
> magazines say so, but dealers people say they have not heard that this
> going to happen. Has anyone heard if it is really happening and if so
> when will they be available?

I'd say it's unlikely due to the massive peak torque. BMW buy in their
gearboxes, and it may be that a suitable one isn't available.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Carrier July 27th 06 01:31 AM

2007 M5 with a real manual transmission

Even their literature says its coming. 6sp. Torque isn't a problem, it's
not that high. I have a feeling a lot of clutches will discover their lives
are short.

R / John

bfd[_1_] July 27th 06 04:08 AM

"John Carrier" > wrote in message
> Even their literature says its coming. 6sp. Torque isn't a problem, it's
> not that high. I have a feeling a lot of clutches will discover their

lives
> are short.
>
> R / John
>
> "LSW" <u24529@uwe> wrote in message news:63cfe03be6970@uwe...
> > Is BMW coming out with a true manual transmission in the 2007 M5? Some
> > magazines say so, but dealers
> > people say they have not heard that this going to happen. Has anyone
> > heard
> > if it is really happening and if so when will they be available?
> >
> > Thank you for any help.

For the E39 M5, the UUC lightweight flywheel with the 850CSi clutch kit. Its
interesting that BMW couldn't figure this out. Then again, it was probably
more likely that the bean counters said "too expensive" and the engineers
had to use the small clutch.

Eisboch[_1_] August 18th 06 12:02 PM

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message

> In article <63cfe03be6970@uwe>,
> LSW <u24529@uwe> wrote:
>> Is BMW coming out with a true manual transmission in the 2007 M5? Some
>> magazines say so, but dealers people say they have not heard that this
>> going to happen. Has anyone heard if it is really happening and if so
>> when will they be available?

> I'd say it's unlikely due to the massive peak torque. BMW buy in their
> gearboxes, and it may be that a suitable one isn't available.

The last I read, the six speed manual gearbox option for the '07 M5 will be
available, but not until October.
There are also some rumors that the DSC, which may be disabled with the 7
speed SMG, will not be able to be disabled with the 6 speed.

Eisboch