AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   driving in the mountains (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=63256)

GPN April 24th 06 04:48 AM

driving in the mountains

I have a 99 4 door honda civic and have new all weather tires. i want
to take a trip on I-70 west (from Colorado to Utah)and was wondering if
I should be aware of any issues that I might run into. Will the car
have any issues driving up in the mountains? Thanks for any pointers
and advise.

GPN.

Elle April 24th 06 02:36 PM

driving in the mountains

Brake pad wear may be much higher. If you suspect your brake
pads are due for replacement soon, consider doing this
before the trip.

Some myths go around the newsgroups about whether one's
car's computer can deal with the change in oxygen levels as
the car goes higher. It can.

"GPN" > wrote

DervMan April 25th 06 08:33 AM

driving in the mountains

"GPN" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 99 4 door honda civic and have new all weather tires. i want
> to take a trip on I-70 west (from Colorado to Utah)and was wondering if
> I should be aware of any issues that I might run into.

What's the snow altitude? Now from North America and not living there yet,
I don't know if you'll run into snow. If you do, take advice from the local
authorities if you need tyre or winter tyres.

> Will the car
> have any issues driving up in the mountains?

Not if it's in good mechanical shape - that means the brakes are fine, the
engine doesn't need a service and the transmission works good.

You'll be wanting to keep the transmission (automatic or manual) in a low
ratio - same gear for going down as you would on the way up...

> Thanks for any pointers
> and advise.

Good luck and take some pretty pictures of the pass(es), eh?

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com