AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   4 way Emergency Flasher Switch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13440)

Smegggg (John) October 30th 04 11:56 AM

4 way Emergency Flasher Switch

Hey, anyone in Australia know where I can get a Hazard Switch for a
1978 Kombi.

Just went to the "VW Parts Shop" and the guy reckons you can't get
them new and recommended that I go to a wreckers for a 2nd hand one.

Or try a substitute "after-market/generic" on from Coventrys (major
parts dealer in WA)

The previous owner removed the switch when it started causing trouble,
just left the terminal plate inside the dash.

I'd rather have a new once as 2nd hand could be about to die and I
don't want to have to work our the connections on a non genuine.

Thanks in anticipation.

Smegggg

The Bay from Oz

Speedy Jim October 30th 04 02:43 PM

Smegggg (John) wrote:

> Hey, anyone in Australia know where I can get a Hazard Switch for a
> 1978 Kombi.
>
> Just went to the "VW Parts Shop" and the guy reckons you can't get
> them new and recommended that I go to a wreckers for a 2nd hand one.
>
> Or try a substitute "after-market/generic" on from Coventrys (major
> parts dealer in WA)
>
> The previous owner removed the switch when it started causing trouble,
> just left the terminal plate inside the dash.
>
> I'd rather have a new once as 2nd hand could be about to die and I
> don't want to have to work our the connections on a non genuine.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Smegggg
>
> The Bay from Oz

Dunno if it helps, but the same switch connections were used
in Beetles since 1969 and Buses since 1972. Any of those should work
for you.
One very slight difference is that '78 Bus has a "night light"
built into the switch so you can find it in the dark. <g>
This is Terminal #58b which can simply be left disconnected.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Smegggg (John) October 31st 04 03:25 PM

Thanks Jim,

I think the main problem is being in Perth Western Australia, the most
isolated Capital City in the world.

I'll probably have to order from overseas as nobody seem to carry
stock.

I might wait until the annual "Day of the Volkswagen" meeting in early
December and see if I can source parts through other owners.

Again, thanks for the info.

Smegggg
The Bay from Oz.