AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   96 Sentra... Where is my ECM? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=18068)

Al Kondo December 31st 04 05:38 PM

96 Sentra... Where is my ECM?

I have a 96 Sentra with a 1.6 liter engine. I had the trouble code
show up on the dash today as I was working on an overheating problem.
I wanted to determine what the trouble code was by accessing the ECM
and having the codes show on the indicator lamp. I checked my shop
manual to find the ECM. It showed that it is located adjacent to the
gas pedal in the left portion of the center console.

I tried to access the ECM this morning and I am having a great deal of
trouble removing the plastic piece that covers the location of the
item. I tried removing the radio and AC controls from the center
console to access the ECM from the rear. Though I was able to
remove both the AC controls and radio, I couldn't figure out how to
remove what I think is the ECM to work with it.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I right that the ECM is located where my manual says it is?

2. If the location is right, how do I access it?

I would appreciate any assistance you may give.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Woody December 31st 04 11:13 PM

96 is on OBD2 car. You cannot flash the code out. You need to find someone
with an OBD2 tester to read them. If there is an AutoZone near you they
usually read them for free...