AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tires... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26297)

gregclimbs March 7th 05 07:33 PM

tires...

is it better to run a slightly smaller more agressive tire, or a larger,
less aggressive tire?

Cureently have 30/9.5 BFG KM's and was thinking about swithcing to
32/11.5 BFG TA's.

thoughts?

Axel Hammer March 7th 05 08:12 PM

gregclimbs schrieb:

> thoughts?

Application?

A.

Snow March 8th 05 12:24 AM

> thoughts?

Vehicle?

Snow...

gregclimbs March 8th 05 02:08 AM

98 cherokee, RE 3.5" lift going on this weekend...

the 30's fit stock...

[email protected] March 8th 05 02:38 AM

Define "large" = Diamter and/or width ?

Where will you use the vehivle.

There are two philosophies.

a. Wide tire will float (or not)
b. Narroe tire will cut through the loose ground and reach solid ground

If its about diameter then get the size that matches your gears and the
size that will fit WITHOUT rubbing when flexed.

More aggessive but smaller will be better.

Matt

Axel Hammer March 8th 05 07:07 AM

gregclimbs schrieb:

> 98 cherokee, RE 3.5" lift going on this weekend...
> the 30's fit stock...

Which, again, tells us nothing about WHAT you are about to do with this
vehicle.
Might as well be a Café Racer. In that case, I'd suggest 38" boggers and
lots of chrome ;-)

Axel

Mike Romain March 8th 05 03:07 PM

Your traction will go to crap with the wider tires.

We went from a P225 width to a P235 width in the same tire and were very
disappointed with the loss of traction.

You are going 2" wider so it will really show the difference.

I recommend tall skinny for the best traction and handling unless it is
a strictly off road machine.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

gregclimbs March 14th 05 07:45 PM

LOL - that is funny...

this is a daily driver in slc, ut. but we go to maod to mtb a fair
amount and like to drive the trails in the heat of the day or at night.
I have plans to make it more and more trail worthy with time (dana300
flipped, dana 44 f/r etc).

I think I am going to the KO's in a 31/10.5, from the KM in a 30/9.5 as
the traction loss shouldn't be too bad, and the reduced road noise
would be good for the kids...