AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How to change battery in key fob (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74120)

Andrew Schumer[_1_] September 8th 06 12:05 AM

How to change battery in key fob

The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
changed yearly.
Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
probably charge me and arm and a leg).

I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.

Any suggestions?

Bert Hyman September 8th 06 12:49 AM

How to change battery in key fob

In "Andrew Schumer"

http://riskinit.com/gallery_template...age=index.html

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Bert Hyman September 8th 06 01:37 AM

How to change battery in key fob

In Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> In "Andrew Schumer"
> wrote:
>
>> The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>> According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend
>> be changed yearly.

> http://riskinit.com/gallery_template...age=index.html

One comment: The first illustration suggests you can simply pull the two
halves of the key apart. I found it easier to use a flat-bladed
screwdriver.

Flip open the key blade. In the recess where the key normally sits, you
should see a slot where it should be clear you should stick the blade,
give it a twist to separate the two pieces.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Peter Parker September 10th 06 01:32 PM

How to change battery in key fob

In article >,
Andrew Schumer > wrote:
>The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
>changed yearly.
>Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
>probably charge me and arm and a leg).
>
>I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would suggest you work some Boeing overtime to pay for the dealer
repair. Batteries have been around for a long time and if you and
your circle have never heard of this, you have to get out of your
circle more often.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

Mike Smith September 12th 06 03:44 AM

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article >,
> Andrew Schumer > wrote:
>> The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>> According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
>> changed yearly.
>> Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
>> probably charge me and arm and a leg).
>>
>> I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I would suggest you work some Boeing overtime to pay for the dealer
> repair. Batteries have been around for a long time and if you and
> your circle have never heard of this, you have to get out of your
> circle more often.

Well, I do think it's silly that they think it should be changed yearly.
Mine are still working fine since November '02.

--
Mike Smith