AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped?? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74196)

PS2Project September 8th 06 11:47 PM

1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped??

My baby backfired and stopped working last week. I lost the
spark to the plugs. To cut a long story short, after testing the
coil and engine sensors, etc, i finally traced the fault to the
ECU. Replaced that with a reconditioned unit and although i now
have a spark, the car still won't start. There's plenty of fuel
and it's smelling strong at the exhaust after cranking the
engine.

It sometimes fires a couple of times but it's not enough to
actually run. It seems as though the timing is off. Is there an
easy way of checking if the belt has slipped without going
through the replacement procedure? Can i use the TDC sensor and
check valve positions or something like that?

Also, how important is the Idle Air Control Valve? Its humming
like a good 'un but i think the flap may be sticking. Would that
cause my symptoms I'm gonna clean it out tomorrow when daylight
comes.

Thanks in advance...

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Psycho September 10th 06 02:31 AM

1986 E30 M20 325i - Timing Belt Slipped??

Check cap and rotor yet? Belt doesn't slip to the best of my
knowledge, breaks but not slips...