AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   tip of the day (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=34580)

Shag June 5th 05 06:07 PM

tip of the day

When they say it's a good idea to use disposable gloves when applying
por-15, they MEAN it. Even my favorite hand-cleaner (gasoline) was
unable to get this stuff off. Looks like I'll see if it can outlast
me or I can outlast it. That stuff is strong. I got the top and
bottom of the flooring in the rail covered, with somewhat of a second
coat on the top. Going to cover it all with Herculiner once it's
cured (next weekend, probably) so I think I have really good coverage
of por-15 for what I need. Measured the flooring today. It's 1/8"
thick steel. Pretty hefty. With the por-15 and Herculiner on it, it
should outlast me. I used two fans to help with ventilation with the
garage wide-open and the rail parked right next to the big garage door
door. Just enough to keep it out of the sunlight, but give good
ventilation. Finished it up a couple of hours ago and I barely still
feel dizzy. :-P Pictures coming.

Remco June 5th 05 07:25 PM

Shag wrote:
> When they say it's a good idea to use disposable gloves when applying
> por-15, they MEAN it. Even my favorite hand-cleaner (gasoline) was
> unable to get this stuff off. Looks like I'll see if it can outlast
> me or I can outlast it. That stuff is strong. I got the top and
> bottom of the flooring in the rail covered, with somewhat of a second
> coat on the top. Going to cover it all with Herculiner once it's
> cured (next weekend, probably) so I think I have really good coverage
> of por-15 for what I need. Measured the flooring today. It's 1/8"
> thick steel. Pretty hefty. With the por-15 and Herculiner on it, it
> should outlast me. I used two fans to help with ventilation with the
> garage wide-open and the rail parked right next to the big garage door
> door. Just enough to keep it out of the sunlight, but give good
> ventilation. Finished it up a couple of hours ago and I barely still
> feel dizzy. :-P Pictures coming.

Yeah, I know what you mean with that stuff not coming off:
I painted engine tin, schroud and other pieces last week.
When I walked back in the house my wife asked me what that black crap
on my forehead was. I must have wiped my forehead with my gloved hand
-- not smart, but in my defense I was seeing pink elephants at the
time. It was a bear to get off my forehead but my handywork looks great
and will last a long time.

Herculiner, isn't that the stuff they paint truck beds with? That's a
good idea, painting the floors with this stuff - didn't think of
that... I guess one could paint the underside of the floors this way
too, huh? Thanks for that tip.

I actually picked up another bug yesterday - a 72 regular (am slowly
working towards a bug fleet :) It'll need pans/rocker panels but is
actually in good shape. Will probably spring for a gallon of POR15 soon
because will definitely need it. This time I'll try to keep it off my
forehead. ;)

Shag June 5th 05 07:50 PM

On 5 Jun 2005 11:25:15 -0700, "Remco" > wrote:

>Shag wrote:
>> When they say it's a good idea to use disposable gloves when applying
>> por-15, they MEAN it. Even my favorite hand-cleaner (gasoline) was
>> unable to get this stuff off. Looks like I'll see if it can outlast
>> me or I can outlast it. That stuff is strong. I got the top and
>> bottom of the flooring in the rail covered, with somewhat of a second
>> coat on the top. Going to cover it all with Herculiner once it's
>> cured (next weekend, probably) so I think I have really good coverage
>> of por-15 for what I need. Measured the flooring today. It's 1/8"
>> thick steel. Pretty hefty. With the por-15 and Herculiner on it, it
>> should outlast me. I used two fans to help with ventilation with the
>> garage wide-open and the rail parked right next to the big garage door
>> door. Just enough to keep it out of the sunlight, but give good
>> ventilation. Finished it up a couple of hours ago and I barely still
>> feel dizzy. :-P Pictures coming.

>Yeah, I know what you mean with that stuff not coming off:
>I painted engine tin, schroud and other pieces last week.
>When I walked back in the house my wife asked me what that black crap
>on my forehead was. I must have wiped my forehead with my gloved hand
>-- not smart, but in my defense I was seeing pink elephants at the
>time. It was a bear to get off my forehead but my handywork looks great
>and will last a long time.
>
>Herculiner, isn't that the stuff they paint truck beds with? That's a
>good idea, painting the floors with this stuff - didn't think of
>that... I guess one could paint the underside of the floors this way
>too, huh? Thanks for that tip.

Yeah, when I had a Jeep I used it to coat the inside of the tub with
it. Worked great. I still have some left over that I'm gonna use on
the floor of the rail. Here's some pics of the Herculiner on the
Jeep:
http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/paint/paint.html

>I actually picked up another bug yesterday - a 72 regular (am slowly
>working towards a bug fleet :) It'll need pans/rocker panels but is
>actually in good shape. Will probably spring for a gallon of POR15 soon
>because will definitely need it. This time I'll try to keep it off my
>forehead. ;)

heh heh... I bought one of those 6-pack of cans of POR-15 from
aircooled.net. Something about the "6-pack" in the description
convinced me... :-) When I got it, I thought the cans were pretty
small and was worried that I wouldn't have enough, but I only used 2
of the cans today to completely do the top and bottom of the entire
floor of the rail, and did at least a partial second coat on the top.
If I used all of the 6-pack kit then I'd easily have enough to do 3
coats top and bottom. I think I'm just gonna keep the extra 4 cans I
have for future projects, like I did with the extra Herculiner I had
left over. Funny about the POR-15 on your forehead. I figure it's
gonna take 3-4 days for me to get all of this stuff off of me.

johnboy June 5th 05 08:04 PM

Head over to Ace Hardware and buy a pint of acetone. It will take most of
the POR off.

Shag June 5th 05 08:37 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:04:48 -0500, "johnboy" >
wrote:

>Head over to Ace Hardware and buy a pint of acetone. It will take most of
>the POR off.

What about the diziness? :-)

Shag June 5th 05 08:51 PM

wrote:

>Head over to Ace Hardware and buy a pint of acetone. It will take most of
>the POR off.

My wife wanted our daughter to take a quick picture of us and we
forgot about the POR-15 stuff... Oops... hahaha!
http://railadventures.dyndns.org/temp/Picture%20001.jpg

Jan Andersson June 5th 05 09:01 PM

Shag wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:04:48 -0500, "johnboy" >
> wrote:
>
> >Head over to Ace Hardware and buy a pint of acetone. It will take most of
> >the POR off.
> >

> My wife wanted our daughter to take a quick picture of us and we
> forgot about the POR-15 stuff... Oops... hahaha!
> http://railadventures.dyndns.org/temp/Picture%20001.jpg

Awwwww, so cute! Makes me wanna come over and give a big hug.

The wifey is nice too.

Jan

Dennis Wik June 5th 05 09:20 PM

It does wear off......I've used it on exhaust pipes with good results
too.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Dennis Wik June 5th 05 09:27 PM

Shag are the 6 packs still in plastic with screw on covers or did por-15
get smart and go with metal. Several years ago I had 4 of the six set
up over the winter in a dry basement that had never been opened. I
never had a problem with the metal conainers even when resealed as long
as I used a plastic wrap for sealer.

Shag June 5th 05 09:39 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:27:30 -0500, (Dennis Wik)
wrote:

>Shag are the 6 packs still in plastic with screw on covers or did por-15
>get smart and go with metal. Several years ago I had 4 of the six set
>up over the winter in a dry basement that had never been opened. I
>never had a problem with the metal conainers even when resealed as long
>as I used a plastic wrap for sealer.

They are small metal cans now with regular lids like a typical can of
paint.