AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2001 Accord LX-V6 - How to get access to instrument cluster? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72727)

George Earl August 19th 06 11:03 PM

2001 Accord LX-V6 - How to get access to instrument cluster?

This is follow-up to my post about the LCD odometer in my 2001 Accord
LX-V6 which is dropping elements. As I said in that posting I can
temporarily get back all the elements in the LCD by pressing on either
side of the odometer but they usually go away again after a while.

A couple of you suggested that the connector for the odometer might be
loose or there might be a bad solder joint.

Where can I find instructions on how to remove enough of the
instrument cluster and trim so that I can check these things? I have
looked in book stores and in the library and the usual online book
sources but I'm coming up empty.

I see there are two screws in the top underside of the black trim
piece that sits in front of the clear plastic guard on the instrument
cluster. Will removing these two screws allow that piece of black trim
to come out easily or is there a trick to getting it out?

Thanks!

George

Graham W August 20th 06 12:00 AM

George Earl wrote:
> This is follow-up to my post about the LCD odometer in my 2001 Accord
> LX-V6 which is dropping elements. As I said in that posting I can
> temporarily get back all the elements in the LCD by pressing on either
> side of the odometer but they usually go away again after a while.
>
> A couple of you suggested that the connector for the odometer might be
> loose or there might be a bad solder joint.
>
> Where can I find instructions on how to remove enough of the
> instrument cluster and trim so that I can check these things? I have
> looked in book stores and in the library and the usual online book
> sources but I'm coming up empty.
>
> I see there are two screws in the top underside of the black trim
> piece that sits in front of the clear plastic guard on the instrument
> cluster. Will removing these two screws allow that piece of black trim
> to come out easily or is there a trick to getting it out?

George, I can't help with getting it out, but when you do the 'fault' is
that the LCD isn't making all the connections between the display glass
and the feed points on the 'motherboard' PCB. There are many and
various methods used, so see if you can tighten the LCD mounting
so that all the segments come back on. You may not even be able to
see the wiring traces on the LCD since they are made with almost
transparent metal which is very thin.

If it obviously easy to release the LCD from its mounting, you could try
cleaning the connecting strips with some IPA but don't abrade any
of the contact areas. Usually, just getting it tighter (like what happens
when you pressed from the outside) is all it needs.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the other connectors on the
unit given your description of the 'fault' and your (very temporary)
resolution.

See what you can find.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

'Curly Q. Links' August 20th 06 02:00 AM

George Earl wrote:

> This is follow-up to my post about the LCD odometer in my 2001 Accord
> LX-V6 which is dropping elements. As I said in that posting I can
> temporarily get back all the elements in the LCD by pressing on either
> side of the odometer but they usually go away again after a while.
>
> A couple of you suggested that the connector for the odometer might be
> loose or there might be a bad solder joint.
>
> Where can I find instructions on how to remove enough of the
> instrument cluster and trim so that I can check these things? I have
> looked in book stores and in the library and the usual online book
> sources but I'm coming up empty.
>
> I see there are two screws in the top underside of the black trim
> piece that sits in front of the clear plastic guard on the instrument
> cluster. Will removing these two screws allow that piece of black trim
> to come out easily or is there a trick to getting it out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> George

-------------------------------------

www.slhondaparts.com They have all your exploded parts diagrams.

Disconnect the battery, and be sure you know how to reset your radio
later. . . (write it down, have the security CODE available).

'Curly'

George Earl August 20th 06 03:42 AM

2001 Accord LX-V6 - How to get access to instrument cluster?

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:00:25 -0600, "'Curly Q. Links'"
> wrote:

>www.slhondaparts.com They have all your exploded parts diagrams.
>
>Disconnect the battery, and be sure you know how to reset your radio
>later. . . (write it down, have the security CODE available).
>
>'Curly'

Good find. Thanks!

George