AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   5w50 synthetic instead of 5w20 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=34737)

Chris June 7th 05 12:43 PM

5w50 synthetic instead of 5w20

The technical manual for Honda Element recommends to use 5w20 oil
engine.
I would try to use 5w50 Castrol synthetic engine oil. Is that OK to
substitute 5w20?

Thanks,
Chris

Professor June 7th 05 02:00 PM

I think you might only notice a difference in very cold weather. The
5W20 might allow the engine to crank faster...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com
Got LEDs?

Curtis Newton June 7th 05 04:13 PM

On 7 Jun 2005 06:00:30 -0700, "Professor" >
wrote:

>I think you might only notice a difference in very cold weather. The
>5W20 might allow the engine to crank faster...

Why would that be since they are both 5W oils??

There has been a ton of debate on the 5W20 v 5W30 at
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

MAT June 7th 05 07:01 PM

"Chris" > wrote in message
> The technical manual for Honda Element recommends to use 5w20 oil
> engine.
> I would try to use 5w50 Castrol synthetic engine oil. Is that OK to
> substitute 5w20?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Do you already have the oil? If so, use it. If not, I'd stick with 5w-30
year round or 10w-30 for the warmer months and 5w-30 for the colder months.
I know the concensus is pretty good regarding the 20 weight oils but I'll
stick with the other grades if not for better availability and value, for
better long term protection.

[email protected] June 7th 05 09:20 PM

Well, I'm confused...

The original poster said 5W-Fifty, everyone else is talking about
5W-Thirty.

Fifty is an invitation to damage and a warranty denial IMO.

MAT June 7th 05 09:39 PM

> The original poster said 5W-Fifty, everyone else is talking about
> 5W-Thirty.
>
> Fifty is an invitation to damage and a warranty denial IMO.

I would never pick the fifty weight for a honda unless it was on its last
leg and burned a quart a week. But I probably also wouldn't waste it if I
came upon it somehow, especially now in the summer. Viscosity at operating
temperature is not that far apart.

Curtis Newton June 8th 05 01:51 AM

On 7 Jun 2005 13:20:02 -0700, wrote:

>Well, I'm confused...
>
>The original poster said 5W-Fifty, everyone else is talking about
>5W-Thirty.
>
>Fifty is an invitation to damage and a warranty denial IMO.

My error on that.

So, getting back to the original point, I would not put 5W50 in a
Honda -- only 5W20 or 5W30.

SoCalMike June 8th 05 04:18 AM

Chris wrote:
> The technical manual for Honda Element recommends to use 5w20 oil
> engine.
> I would try to use 5w50 Castrol synthetic engine oil. Is that OK to
> substitute 5w20?

um... no. 5w30 is the furthest id feel safe going.