AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oil Question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25268)

[email protected] February 24th 05 10:11 PM

Oil Question

Here's a thought.

Anyboy used synthetic oil and what do you think of it? I've just
overhauled a motor but didn't go into the case, just new pistons and
cylinders. I seem to remember you couldn't use synthetic oil straight
out of the gate. Someone please refresh my memory and give me the
benifit of your experience.

Should I break it in with something else first? Or should I even
consider synthetics?

Thanks,
<><
TC

tricky February 24th 05 10:35 PM

dont know about beaking it in but the main reson for not using sythetic
oil is cost.
Synthetics have the advantage of not breaking down, but in an air cooled
VDub you still have to replace it ever 1000 - 3000 miles depending on
driving /climate conditions. More where breaking in !!
So it will get costly compared to organic oil which is perfectly able to
last the recomended milage.

Rich

P.J. Berg February 24th 05 10:42 PM

wrote:
> Here's a thought.
>
> Anyboy used synthetic oil and what do you think of it? I've just
> overhauled a motor but didn't go into the case, just new pistons and
> cylinders. I seem to remember you couldn't use synthetic oil straight
> out of the gate. Someone please refresh my memory and give me the
> benifit of your experience.
>
> Should I break it in with something else first? Or should I even
> consider synthetics?
>
> Thanks,
> <><
> TC

Always break in with mineral oil, accelerate and decelerate hard just
after start up, this is critical as the window of opportunity is narrow.

This is to seat the piston rings while there is a slight rough honing
structure left in the cylinders.

Barely let it warm up before accelerate/decelerate using 1/3 throttle in
second gear, repeat three times.

Repeat three times using 1/2 throttle and then finally full whack three
times.

As you can see you need a piece of straight road, and no other vehicles
around..

This is not BS, I have seen comparative pics of motorcycle
engines(Pistons), and it really works!

Less blow by and higher compression.

J.

Mike64Bug February 25th 05 01:42 AM

I ran across an interesting article on motor oil on a non-vw website a while back. It's very informative. I don't
think it answers the "should I use synthetic oil in my aircooled VW" question but has some good information anyway.

http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

bill may February 25th 05 06:36 AM

dont use synthetic oil in new/rebuilt aircooled vw engine-- rings will
never seat breakin with dino oil then after 500 miles change out to
synthetic if you really want syn. type oil (porsche uses syn. oil-i
dont)

Mike64Bug February 25th 05 11:27 PM

Thanks Bill. Do you use synthetic in your VW? Do you notice any difference in cooling ability?

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle