AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Automatic Locks (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71471)

[email protected] August 4th 06 02:21 PM

Automatic Locks

I purchased a 2000 Passat Wagen froma non VW dealer. The door locks
engage at 10mph. The local VW dealer states they cannot turn this
function off for safety reasons. Is this true?. If not, how in the
world do you stop this annoying feature.

One out of many daves August 4th 06 04:06 PM

Automatic Locks

WHY?
You could either lock the doors before driving thereby not having to hear
the locks locking while driving. ;-)

Or maybe (and I don't like these options)
You could disable the locking system and then have to lock/unlock the doors
manually.
Possibly it could be switched off using a scanner tool that can modify the
ECM.

oups.com...

Mike Smith[_1_] August 4th 06 06:04 PM

Automatic Locks

One out of many daves wrote:
> WHY?

Yeah, really - what's the big deal?

--
Mike Smith

Joseph Meehan[_1_] August 4th 06 11:34 PM

Automatic Locks

wrote:
> I purchased a 2000 Passat Wagen froma non VW dealer. The door locks
> engage at 10mph. The local VW dealer states they cannot turn this
> function off for safety reasons. Is this true?. If not, how in the
> world do you stop this annoying feature.

That is dead wrong. It is 12.5 mph. (18kph)

In any case, what is so annoying? You get a slight click and it will
keep one of those freaks who want to wash your windows at the stop light
from opening your door.

For the record. I have heard of some people who have figured it out.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mark[_2_] August 6th 06 03:32 AM

Automatic Locks

I am pretty sure you can turn off the feature- you just need to find a
private party with a VAG-COM scan tool. Or find a dealer with a more
reasonable attitude toward customer service. Better yet, seek out a
private garage that specializes in Volkswagen and/or foreign cars.

I recently purchased a 2003 Jetta and noticed that unlike my 2001
Passat, the doors, once auto-locked did not unlock when I pulled the
key out. I borrowed the scan tool and turned on the setting for
"Auto-Unlock". Presto. My doors still autolock because My wife wanted
them that way but I recall there is also a 'on/off switch' for that
feature.

Another thought... you could try looking at other online groups such as
tdiclub.com or vwvortex.com or bentleypublishers.com. You might be
able to locate a person with the scan tool who is willing to help out.