AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ehxaust leak (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=22330)

jex January 26th 05 02:13 PM

ehxaust leak

hi iv just got a 1.5/8" merged header but im not to sure how to join
the j tubes iv tryed ehxaust past but that did not work so how are you
ment to seal them?
thanks luke

Hal January 26th 05 10:02 PM

Typically I have flanges welded on the end of the J-tubes/heater boxes
and the header assembly. Then you can use a normal flange gasket. to
seal the junction. The asbestos ring tailpipe clamps do not hold up in
this location, the vibration loosens them up just as fast as you can
replace them.

I have a set of junk heads I use for this purpose. You can bolt the
header/J-tubes up and deliver the exhaust system to the muffler shop
with the heads, that way everything is lined up as it will be on the
car.

Chris