FishKeepingBanter.com

FishKeepingBanter.com (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/index.php)
-   General (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What does everyone have in their tanks???? (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25935)

Gill Passman November 11th 05 02:26 AM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

2 5 gall tanks that house Boris and Bob (plus Platy buddy) the
Bettas....they live in the kitchen and flirt everytime I go near them to
wash up or make tea or coffee

I then have a 15 gall tank in the kitchen as well - probably takes up
too much workspace...this houses 2 blue dwarf gouramis, one dutch ram, 5
rummy nose tetras and 4 Juhlii cories....nice tank....

In the office space I have my 47.5UK gall malawi tank....full of killer
cichlids and lots and lots of fry...very interesting to watch the
different communities depending on their size (ie. adult, juvs or
fry)...I've two alpha fish in there that have made an imaginary divide
across the tank - when they stand off against eachother it is like there
is a magnetic force field between them....the others just watch their
backs (or tails) - from time to time someone gets bumped off, which I
really hate :-(

In the living room I have my 7.5UK gall hex tank. This houses 4 Peacock
gobies and 5 panda cories - used to be 5 gobies but I lost one :-( The
gobies are what I would describe as "chill fish". They have great
personalities and don't seem to care about anyone or anything else other
than one another - also are very fussy eaters - won't take flake at all
- the nearest they come to is nibbling on the catfish pellets I put in
for the Pandas....

Upstairs we have my son's 30 gall tank...very pretty...contains 6
Rasboras, 6 Glowlights, 2 Pearl Gouramis, 4 homebred Mollies and one
solitary Yoyo - he didn't start off on his own but there have been
various local issues with the quality of Yoyos...great tank and the
plants do wonderfully up there but we do have a green hair algae problem
- like scooping out green candyfloss - lol

In the Conservatory we have what I describe as my main community tank -
heavily planted - so very green. At the moment it is 47.5UK gall but is
going to be upgraded very soon - as I think I've probably got too many
fish in there - and also because I want to :-) this tank at the moment has:-

3 Blue 3 Spot Gouramis
3 small Boesmani rainbows
2 small red rainbows
3 flying foxes
5 clown loaches
1 queen arabesque plec
5 platys - was two but they did the platy thing :-) and boy did those
fry grow quick
Some neons, guppies and otos - not sure how many as the tank is to
heavily planted to find them all - I know how may went in but I'm not
sure they are still there (pretty sure two guppies have vanished)

So these are my current tanks....what are yours?????

Please all share - make this a big post

Gill

Karen Garza November 11th 05 02:57 AM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

Wow! You have a lot of tanks and fish!

I have a 20 gallon tank
1 ghost shrimp
5 platys
3 pepper corys
4 ottos
I just got the plattys about two weeks ago and one of them looks pregnant
(fat belly and dark gravid spot), so I will probably have several more
plattys soon.
I would also like to add some plants whenever I can afford them.

Karen

Koi-lo November 11th 05 03:15 AM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Let's really start sharing here.....

====================
Indoors:
One 10 gallon tank of Mickey Mouse platies.
One 10 gallon quarantine tank containing live plants and no fish at the
moment.
One 10 gallon breeding set-up for bettas.
One 2 gallon with a elderly blue betta.
Assorted betta bowls of bettas, mostly males.
A 55G with 4 small pearlscales.
A 55G waiting for a few small butterfly koi to be caught and brought in for
winter entertainment.

My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Elaine T November 11th 05 03:16 AM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

Bill Stock November 11th 05 04:47 AM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

[snip]

Outdoor Pond (500 gallons)
- 9 Ordinary Goldfish
- unknown Fry
- Hornwort
- Water Hyacinth
- Water Lettuce
- Lillies

Indoor Pond (300 Gallons - 1000W)
- currently awaiting the outdoor fish
- maybe a small turtle or two

Basement Tank 1 - GF - (75 Gallon - 160W)
- 4 LARGE ordinary Goldfish
- 1 Fancy Goldfish

Basement Tank 2 - Tropical - (55 Gallon - 192W - CO2)
- 8 Cardinal Tetras
- 6 Rosy Barbs
- 6 Tiger Barbs
- 3 Yoyo Loaches
- 1 or two Otos
- Rose Sword
- Cabomba
- Ludwigia Repens
- Hornworn
- Anubias Barteri

Office Tank (10 Gallons 26W) - Former home to Junior the Betta (RIP)
- 5 Cherry Barbs
- 9 Otos (6 awaiting transfer to the Tropical Tank)
- Two Swords
- Ground Cover

Hospital (5.5 Gallons)
- Empty

Gill Passman November 11th 05 11:57 AM

Karen Garza wrote:
Wow! You have a lot of tanks and fish!

I have a 20 gallon tank
1 ghost shrimp
5 platys
3 pepper corys
4 ottos
I just got the plattys about two weeks ago and one of them looks pregnant
(fat belly and dark gravid spot), so I will probably have several more
plattys soon.
I would also like to add some plants whenever I can afford them.

Karen

You'll have loads of fish soon if you're right about the Platy :-)....if
she does give birth lots of plants and hiding places would be a good
idea if you want to raise the fry in your 20gall - when I first started
out with the tanks I bought a few fast growing plants (incidently they
were slightly cheaper than stuff like Java ferns, anubia etc) - I then
took cuttings from them, weighed them down with plant weights and stuck
them in the gravel again - now all the tanks apart from the Malawi tank
(which isn't planted) are a little bit like jungles....I've also donated
some of the cuttings to a friend - maybe you might know someone who can
give you some cuttings to try (make sure that you don't cross infect
your tank with anything from their's though - I use a mild bleach
solution before putting the plants in).

Good luck with the Platys

Gill

Al Haunts November 11th 05 01:30 PM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:26:37 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

Let's really start sharing here.....

Well, I'm returning to the hobby after a bit of a break (like 40
years).

Just one tank here (for now). 50 US gallons, planted. Black painted
backdrop & black substrate. Some driftwood. 80w fluorescent lighting
on 12 hours a day. Now holding a steady 77 deg F.

Current occupants:

1 pair Red Dwarf Gouramis
5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neons
3 Zebra Danios
4 Otos
2 Bronze Corys
1 Pepper Cory

Mostly a peaceful tank. Although the Danios can't help getting hyper
at times and the male Dwarf Gourami divides his time about equally
between building his bubble nest, foraging for food and
chasing/abusing his spouse.

Recently won a minor battle with Ich. (my fault, tried to get by with
a 100w heater & had a rapid drop in temperature this fall)

Algae is well under control, for now. I did have to zap a
cyanobacteria outbreak (that Maracyn works like greased lightning on
that stuff)

Trying to decide what to add next. Maybe some Marbled Hatchets (very
hard to find around here). An Angelfish or 3 would be nice too, but
I'm not keen on having the Neons 'vanish in the night'. We'll see,
it's all a lot of fun.

I think I'll ask Santa for a set of water test kits. It'll be the
second time I've asked him for a chemistry set, but it's been so many
years, I'm sure he's forgotten (grin).

Regards, Al.

Ali Day November 11th 05 01:45 PM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

OK I have one tank in the house that's all I'm allowed, so I have a 2m,
600L/170g tank.
Quite heavily planted with all the usual culprits amazon swords, etc.
Electronic CO2 cyclone injection using CO2 cylinders from a local bar
supplier. Twin canister filters filtering the water at about 750 g/h

The only things I'm think I need now is a water osomosiwhatsit, to bring my
hardness down to around 5 in the future when I go back to discus keeping,
and undergravel heating which will be installed in February, when the fish
will all get moved into a bin for a couple of days, when I completly re-vamp
the tank.

The inhabitants are;
5 Ottos
10 Clown loaches
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Gold Bristlenose Pleco
10 Rummy nosed tetra
4 African Glass Catfish - Parailia pellucida not the Kryptopterus
4 SAE's
2 Blue Ram
7 Leopard danios
5 Diamond tetras
10 Cardinals
2 Marble Angelfish
And the bane of my life 15 guppies, which the fry have no been brought under
control, by the introduction of my tank minders the Angels.

Next plan when we landscape the garden in a large pond and stream effect
running down past out house.

2pods November 11th 05 03:26 PM

What does everyone have in their tanks????

Please all share - make this a big post

Gill

Currently in the kitchen:

One small former fridge box (the clear type) with 5 teeny goldfish fry, 3
snails (no doubt soon to be many) which came in on some plants from the
pond.

One small tank with 1 larger goldfish juvenile.

Living room:

Juwel Rio 400 litre with Cabomba, Java fern, Anubias, Hygropillia and Vallis
with 4 Clown loaches, 6 Angels, 4 large SAEs, 3 Chinese Weather Loach, about
7 Platy, 2 Bronze, 1 Albino, 1 Elegant, 1 Panda, 1 Stebai Corys .
and 2 Danios left out of 6 from two years ago.

Upstairs:

Juwel Rio 240 litre with plants as above and 6 Clown Loach (You can tell I
like them ), 6 Bronze corys, 5 Platy, 2 juvenile Angels, and 1 SAE.

Juwel Rekord 60 litre with Cabomba and Hornwort.
2 Bronze Corys, 9 Neons (was 10, 1 was DOA), 3 Platy (one rescued as fry
from our outside half barrel. Must have gone out on plants)

Two ponds with 2 Comets, 5 Shubunkin, 6 Tench, 4 Goldfish, and 2 Orfe.

I hate to say it, but I'd still like another tank as Gill has got me
interested in her Mbuna :-)

Peter

Steve November 11th 05 03:46 PM

Gill Passman wrote:

Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

OK, I started back into the hobby in 1991, with a 90-gal community
aquarium and a home-made top with (currently) 5, 40-watt fluorescent
tubes. It now has eco-complete substrate, two large canister filters and
two heaters, bog wood and slate. It's in the basement recreation room,
and has giant Vallisneria, Anubias, Rotala, Cryptocornae, Ceratophyllum
and Java moss. The fish a 3 clown loaches, 2 small pl*cos, 2 siamese
algae eaters, 2 blue gourami, 4 dwarf neon rainbowfish, 1 larger
rainbowfish, perhaps 18 white clouds and 12 zebra Danio.

This 90-gal aquarium has had blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) issues
since 1999. Around that time, I believe the city started to add
phosphate to the water to preserve pipes. I've tried all sorts of things
to get rid of this algae, without permanent success. Removing the algae
manually keeps the aquarium in fair shape, and I may try bottled water next.

I also have 2, 15-gallon aquariums that started out as quarantine tanks.
They're located in a metal stand one above the other in the dining room.
They're planted, and one contains 2 shubunkin goldfish. The other
contains one fantail goldfish.

Finally there's also a small plastic awquarium in the dining room. It
was bought for my daughter's small frog and later held a betta. For the
last year I've raised red ramshorn snails in this aquarium. My clown
loaches find the snails delicious :) when I need to reduce the snail
population. The small aquarium also contains Java moss, some Rotala and
aragonite substrate.

I find aquariums to be a pleasant hobby. I appreciate the aquatic
environments we create more than I appreciate the individual fish.

It's easy to get obsessive about the hobby, and this happened to me in
the first year after starting up again. At that time I purchased and
read many books, and fussed over the aquariums quite a bit. In more
recent years, the web sites and this newsgroup have become a good source
of information about the hobby.

Steve