AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=70241)

[email protected] July 20th 06 03:43 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Driver license costs could go up
Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
By Mike Ward
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, July 20, 2006

Texans could soon get a jolt when they apply for a driver's license. Or
maybe not.

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, was quoted Wednesday as
saying Department of Public Safety officials alerted her that the cost
of a license could jump from $24 for six years to a whopping $100 or
more.

Reason: A new federal anti-terrorism law requiring all states' driver's
licenses to be the same and much more sophisticated. Read that as more
costly.

"We're looking at a huge, unfunded mandate," she told the San Antonio
Express-News.

Even so, state officials quickly insisted that the $100 estimate is not
a certainty, or even a good estimate, perhaps, since federal rules
covering the new licenses have not been approved.

They noted that any increase in the cost of licenses would have to be
approved by the Texas Legislature, an unlikely group to quadruple the
cost if public outrage were to surface as expected over such a steep
increase.

"DPS has done some modeling of costs, but the exact regulations are
still in the rulemaking process, so it's premature to have hard and
fast estimates," said Rachael Novier, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick
Perry.

She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
making our driver's licenses more secure."

Lisa Block, a spokeswoman for DPS, was similarly noncommittal on any
estimates.

"We're looking at the (federal) requirements and how we will respond to
those requirements," she said. "We're still formulating the estimates.
.. . . Any numbers we have are estimates. Nothing is finalized."

A Homeland Security representative in Washington said Wednesday that
the change in federal law stemmed from the report of the Sept. 11
commission, which studied the terrorist attacks. Citing the fact that
all but one of the Sept. 11 hijackers had obtained driver's licenses or
other state identity cards, the commission recommended standardizing
all state licenses and improving verification of applicants'
backgrounds.

Van de Putte was traveling Wednesday and could not be reached for
comment.

She told the Express-News that she was told the higher costs will stem
from already approved federal regulations that will require DPS to
begin more closely checking driver's license applications . That, she
said, could result in longer lines not only for new applicants but for
those who renew as well.

DPS officials estimated the change will cost Texas about $168 million
the first year and $104 million a year after that, the senator was
quoted as saying.

Texas has about 16 million licensed drivers. Last year the state issued
700,000 new licenses and processed 2.6 million renewals.

By the numbers:
Driver's license costs

The price of a driver's license in Texas since the first one was issued
in 1935:

1935: 25 cents a year
1942: $3 for two years
1968: $6 for four years, $3 for two years
1974: $7 for four years
1984: $10 for four years
1985: $16 for four years
1998: $24 for six years, $4 per year

Source: Texas Department of Public Safety

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20license.html

Brent P[_1_] July 20th 06 06:39 PM

In article .com>, wrote:
> Driver license costs could go up
> Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
> By Mike Ward
> AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
> Thursday, July 20, 2006

<....>

Just the back-doored national ID.... all hail REAL-ID

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE July 21st 06 05:20 AM

On 20 Jul 2006 07:43:35 -0700, wrote:

>Driver license costs could go up
>Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
>By Mike Ward
>AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
>Thursday, July 20, 2006
>
>Texans could soon get a jolt when they apply for a driver's license. Or
>maybe not.
>
>State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, was quoted Wednesday as
>saying Department of Public Safety officials alerted her that the cost
>of a license could jump from $24 for six years to a whopping $100 or
>more.
>
>Reason: A new federal anti-terrorism law requiring all states' driver's
>licenses to be the same and much more sophisticated. Read that as more
>costly.
>
>"We're looking at a huge, unfunded mandate," she told the San Antonio
>Express-News.
>
>Even so, state officials quickly insisted that the $100 estimate is not
>a certainty, or even a good estimate, perhaps, since federal rules
>covering the new licenses have not been approved.
>
>They noted that any increase in the cost of licenses would have to be
>approved by the Texas Legislature, an unlikely group to quadruple the
>cost if public outrage were to surface as expected over such a steep
>increase.

The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
violation in the last 6 years. Make the criminals pay thru the nose
not the law-abiding citizens.

necromancer[_1_] July 21st 06 06:24 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Loco laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE proud graduate of the South Hampton
Institute of Technology ****ted the following bull**** in
rec.autos.driving:

> The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
> but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
> violation in the last 6 years. Make the criminals pay thru the nose
> not the law-abiding citizens.

By that logic, based on your admissions here, I estimate that your
license would cost about $724.00, or about two or three of your welfare
checks for the year. Are you ready to walk that talk; or just walk
everywhere you go?

--
"My tars have been bald for two years.
Every month i glue some sandpaper to them and

--Laura Buch murdered her boyfriend
/ laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE 10/25/05

Message ID:
http://tinyurl.com/7p7xq

rick++ July 21st 06 02:55 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

It could backfire too. There are some areas in the SW states where you
lucky
to find half the cars and drivers with legal registrations. Raising
prices will
have even less register. Dont even bother asking about insurance.

John F. Carr July 21st 06 03:54 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

In article >,
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:
>The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
>but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
>violation in the last 6 years.

The fee IS based on your driving record. Texas has had a "driver
responsibility" tax on license points for a few years now. Three
speeding tickets = $300. See
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/drp/drp.htm

The base fee is rising because government grows to meet revenue
and the money from the last tax increase has already been spent.

--
John Carr )

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE July 21st 06 07:34 PM

On 21 Jul 2006 14:54:13 GMT, (John F. Carr) wrote:

>In article >,
>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:
>>The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
>>but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
>>violation in the last 6 years.

>The fee IS based on your driving record. Texas has had a "driver
>responsibility" tax on license points for a few years now. Three
>speeding tickets = $300. See

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/drp/drp.htm

>The base fee is rising because government grows to meet revenue
>and the money from the last tax increase has already been spent.

The base fee shouldn't rise. If they need more money take it out of
the speeders and duis and other highway criminals. Leave us
law-abiding citizens alone.

necromancer[_1_] July 21st 06 10:44 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Loco laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE, proud graduate of the South
Hampton Institute of Technology told this lie in rec.autos.driving:

> Leave us law-abiding citizens alone.

You got alot of nerve calling yourself a "law abiding citizan," you
criminal.

"> Have you ever driven a car faster than the legal speed limit?

Yes, but never deliberately. In fact i got a speeding ticket about 5
years ago for doing 41 in a 25. I just about kicked the cops teeth in
cause i was sure he was lying. No way the SL on this wide open
stretch could be 25, i thought."

Pride of America (c.k.a. "laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMOCIDE), 10/3/2002
http://tinyurl.com/5u4wg

Connecting POA to LBMHB/lbVH:
See the following: http://tinyurl.com/ahphj

Billzz July 22nd 06 08:13 AM

"Dennis M" > wrote in message
> >She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
>>cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
>>making our driver's licenses more secure."

> Glad to hear that, in the future maybe privileged people like George W.
> Bush and his wife won't be able to wipe their records clean of infractions
> both in Texas and other states by uniquely being issued brand new Texas
> drivers licenses.

I lived in Texas for ten years (and had a son who got tickets) and do not
believe that renewal has anything to do with "wipe their records clean." I
think that you have some political agenda.

Morton Davis July 22nd 06 01:45 PM

"Dennis M" > wrote in message
> >She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
> >cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
> >making our driver's licenses more secure."

> Glad to hear that, in the future maybe privileged people like George W.
> Bush and his wife won't be able to wipe their records clean of infractions
> both in Texas and other states by uniquely being issued brand new Texas
> drivers licenses.

What infractions were "wiped clean"?

Don Klipstein July 24th 06 04:47 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

In article .com>,
wrote:
> [...]
>all state licenses and improving verification of applicants'
>backgrounds.
>
>Van de Putte was traveling Wednesday and could not be reached for
>comment.
>
>She told the Express-News that she was told the higher costs will stem
>from already approved federal regulations that will require DPS to
>begin more closely checking driver's license applications . That, she
>said, could result in longer lines not only for new applicants but for
>those who renew as well.
>
>DPS officials estimated the change will cost Texas about $168 million
>the first year and $104 million a year after that, the senator was
>quoted as saying.
>
>Texas has about 16 million licensed drivers. Last year the state issued
>700,000 new licenses and processed 2.6 million renewals.

So spread out $104 million or $168 million among the 16 million drivers
in a 6-year renewal cycle - that's only a couple dollars per license per
year! (See below for data including a 6-year renewal cycle starting in
1998!)

- Don Klipstein )

[email protected] July 24th 06 07:31 AM

Greg Rozelle wrote:
> ACLU and others will be challenging the new id laws. There is no
> way I could afford $100 for my drivers license. I sure hope this
> does not apply to all states. I also wander how much ids will cost as
> well.

I wonder is this is related to the modified voting rights act? I know
they didn't want to pass one until the democrats shamed them into it.
Are there alternate IDs acceptable for voting?

Bill Funk July 26th 06 07:19 AM

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+...3-5697111.html

>> iN TYTPICAL FASHION cONGRESS SNUCK IT INTO A MILITARY SPENDING BILL.

>It was an intersting read. Still, wouldn't a required payment for ID
>acceptable
>for voter identification be a form of poll tax unless an alternate free
>ID is offered?

Not unless the ID is *only* for voting, and maybe not even then.
But it's a good question. :-)
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk July 26th 06 09:27 PM

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/...s/15009499.htm

>________________
>I am human; nothing in humanity is alien to me.
> Terence

If I remember right, Georgia offers a free ID card to those who can't
afford to buy one.
The case referrenced is about requiring ID at all, not how much the ID
costs, which is what I see this thread to be about.

Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
some make it out to be.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

[email protected] July 26th 06 11:40 PM

Bill Funk > wrote:

> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
> actually able/allowed to vote?

Obviously, you have never worked the polls on election day. You should
try it.

As a poll worker, your job is to confirm that the voter's name is
registered on the rolls, match the name against the address and give the
voter a ballot. The name is crossed off the roll when s/he gets his
ballot. Bingo. One man, one vote.

If you are not registered, your name will not be on the rolls and you
will not be given a ballot. Period.

If the voter gives you a false name, s/he is committing a crime with
severe consequences.

Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws. Allow local
registrars to confirm voter records annually and purge those they
cannot. This all costs money, but if the electorate is really interested
in election rectitude, this is the way to do it. Forget voter ID. It is
a bad idea that will almost certainly fail any court challenges.

[email protected] July 27th 06 12:08 AM

lid wrote:

> Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
> preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws.

In line with tampering with votes, here in Wisconsin, the fraud occurs
at levels far above the individual voter, and includes both parties:

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green, for instance, has
accumulated over $182,000 in his campaign coffers than is permitted by
state law. Thus far, the state Elections Board has done nothing.

On the other side of the aisle, Democratic incumbent Governor Jim
Doyle's campaign manager, Marc Marotta, is increasingly the focus of an
investigation into the connection between campaign donations and
government decisions. Marotta was previously Administration Secretary to
the Governor's office.

I assume it is the same everywhere at every level of government. We the
voters have nauseatingly been reduced to choosing between the following
parties:

The party of corrupt self interest

The party of dictatorial fascism

The party of evil fundamentalism

BTW, to see who is responsible for these (and possibly worse) being our
only choices in elections, go into the bathroom and look in the mirror.

This situation will continue until we all demand that our elected
officials start doing the job we gave them: serve the public (not
private companies, not churches, not foreign interests, not their own
family and friends. The Public).

If we demand that (which is what we are due), and we do not get it
(which we are certainly NOT), we should do whatever it takes, up to and
including open rebellion, to get them out of office posthaste. If they
steal from us, get 'em out. If they lie to us, get 'em out. If they
behave like nincompoops during national emergencies, get 'em out.

That image you see in your bathroom mirror? That's the only one who can
accomplish it. And you can't do it if you don't know what's going on.

necromancer[_1_] July 27th 06 06:11 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

> said in rec.autos.driving:
> In article >,
> lid wrote:
>
> > Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
> > preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws.

> In line with tampering with votes, here in Wisconsin, the fraud occurs
> at levels far above the individual voter, and includes both parties:
>
> Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green, for instance, has
> accumulated over $182,000 in his campaign coffers than is permitted by
> state law. Thus far, the state Elections Board has done nothing.
>
> On the other side of the aisle, Democratic incumbent Governor Jim
> Doyle's campaign manager, Marc Marotta, is increasingly the focus of an
> investigation into the connection between campaign donations and
> government decisions. Marotta was previously Administration Secretary to
> the Governor's office.
>
> I assume it is the same everywhere at every level of government. We the
> voters have nauseatingly been reduced to choosing between the following
> parties:
>
> The party of corrupt self interest
>
> The party of dictatorial fascism
>
> The party of evil fundamentalism
>
> BTW, to see who is responsible for these (and possibly worse) being our
> only choices in elections, go into the bathroom and look in the mirror.
>
> This situation will continue until we all demand that our elected
> officials start doing the job we gave them: serve the public (not
> private companies, not churches, not foreign interests, not their own
> family and friends. The Public).
>
> If we demand that (which is what we are due), and we do not get it
> (which we are certainly NOT), we should do whatever it takes, up to and
> including open rebellion, to get them out of office posthaste. If they
> steal from us, get 'em out. If they lie to us, get 'em out. If they
> behave like nincompoops during national emergencies, get 'em out.
>
> That image you see in your bathroom mirror? That's the only one who can
> accomplish it. And you can't do it if you don't know what's going on.

Well said. But the sad fact is that come election day - be it this years
elections or the elections in 2008 and beyond - the sheeple here in
these United States will just go to the polls and re-elect the same
tired old purveyors of the failed establishment - or if feeling really
*bold* vote in the purveyors of the previous tired old establishment
which is still tired and failed. People don't have the guts to - heaven
forbid - go into that election booth and vote for someone else - be it
the Libertarian, the Green, the Communist or what ever. We see it in
Massachusetts (the kennedy klan), Chicago (right, Brent?), FL and TX
(the Bush Bozos) and all over.

People bitch about the Dems and the Repubs, yet every 4 years what do we
get? A Repub or Dem president eventhough there are usually at least 3 or
4 other candidates on the ballots. We keep reelecting the same tired old
failures to the Congress every 2 or 6 years. And untill We The Sheeple
wake up and start voting for third party or independant candidates, we
will get more of the same old, same old. IOW, we get the government we
deserve.

<stepping down from soap box>

Mike T. July 27th 06 01:37 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
> some make it out to be.

Really? Check this out:

Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
whew!)

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm

Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave

Bill Funk July 27th 06 06:00 PM

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:40:12 -0500, lid wrote:

>In article >,
> Bill Funk > wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote?

>Obviously, you have never worked the polls on election day. You should
>try it.
>
>As a poll worker, your job is to confirm that the voter's name is
>registered on the rolls, match the name against the address and give the
>voter a ballot. The name is crossed off the roll when s/he gets his
>ballot. Bingo. One man, one vote.

Explain how this would confirm that the person claiming to be, say,
John Doe at 123 Main Street is, in fact, John Doe who resides at 123
Main St.

>If you are not registered, your name will not be on the rolls and you
>will not be given a ballot. Period.
>
>If the voter gives you a false name, s/he is committing a crime with
>severe consequences.

Explain to me how the person who claims to be someone he is not would
be caught?
Or, demonstrate that there is actually an effort to catch such people.

>Like gun laws, a little enforcement would go a long way toward
>preventing voter fraud without introducing even more laws. Allow local
>registrars to confirm voter records annually and purge those they
>cannot. This all costs money, but if the electorate is really interested
>in election rectitude, this is the way to do it. Forget voter ID. It is
>a bad idea that will almost certainly fail any court challenges.

Ah! Enforcement! This is not what is happening. In fact, there are, in
most states, not even mechanisms for determining who that person
standing there giving a name really is.
With a gun purchase, ID must be checked by Federal law; there's no
analogy with voter ID.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk July 27th 06 06:04 PM

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:37:40 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
>> some make it out to be.

>Really? Check this out:
>
>Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
>social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
>of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
>whew!)
>
>http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>
>Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
>organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
>non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave

The rules allow 4 points for a passport (out of 6). The requirements
for a passport are less onerous than NY requires for other ID.
The other 2 points are easily provided by any honest person.
As I said, this isn't as hard as many make it out to be.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

[email protected] July 27th 06 06:38 PM

Bill Funk > wrote:

> Explain how this would confirm that the person claiming to be, say,
> John Doe at 123 Main Street is, in fact, John Doe who resides at 123
> Main St.

The investigation begins when the real Doe shows up to vote.

> Explain to me how the person who claims to be someone he is not would
> be caught? Or, demonstrate that there is actually an effort to catch
> such people.

Any deficiency in existing laws will not be rectified by implementing
new, unenforced laws and will increase the likelihood of legitimate
voters being unable to cast a ballot (both through mistakes and through
turpitude).

> Ah! Enforcement! This is not what is happening.

Increasing the number of laws will not affect their enforcement. It
will merely increase the complexity of the rules required to cast
legitimate ballots. Added complexity will certainly lead to more
numerous mistakes and a greater potential for abuse. Are not U.S.
elections already sufficiently contested?

Concentrating on enforcing existing election laws makes much
more sense.

> In fact, there are, in most states, not even mechanisms for
> determining who that person standing there giving a name really is.

Creating new laws fails to address the current deficiencies. Enforcement
will still be required. Moreover, enacting new laws designed to prevent
specific individuals from voting opens the potential for selective
enforcement. An extremely dangerous precedent no matter where your
sympathies lie.

> With a gun purchase, ID must be checked by Federal law; there's no
> analogy with voter ID.

These rules were and remain heavily opposed-- sometimes even by those
who simply love the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights more than
they fear firearms (or terrorists, for that matter).

Mike T. July 27th 06 06:47 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

>>Really? Check this out:
>>
>>Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
>>social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
>>of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
>>whew!)
>>
>>http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>>
>>Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
>>organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
>>non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave
>>

> The rules allow 4 points for a passport (out of 6). The requirements
> for a passport are less onerous than NY requires for other ID.

You mean HS hasn't gotten around to fixing that yet? I'm sure they are
grateful to you for pointing out that oversight, and it will be corrected
overnight. :( -Dave

Bill Funk July 27th 06 06:55 PM

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:38:13 -0500, lid wrote:

>In article >,
> Bill Funk > wrote:
>
>> Explain how this would confirm that the person claiming to be, say,
>> John Doe at 123 Main Street is, in fact, John Doe who resides at 123
>> Main St.

>The investigation begins when the real Doe shows up to vote.

And if (when) he doesn't?

>> Explain to me how the person who claims to be someone he is not would
>> be caught? Or, demonstrate that there is actually an effort to catch
>> such people.

>Any deficiency in existing laws will not be rectified by implementing
>new, unenforced laws and will increase the likelihood of legitimate
>voters being unable to cast a ballot (both through mistakes and through
>turpitude).

I don't see the connection between requiring ID and the likelyhood of
legimitate voters being unable to cast a ballot. Meaning, I don't see
getting an ID to be as difficult task as many seem to think.

>> Ah! Enforcement! This is not what is happening.

>Increasing the number of laws will not affect their enforcement. It
>will merely increase the complexity of the rules required to cast
>legitimate ballots. Added complexity will certainly lead to more
>numerous mistakes and a greater potential for abuse. Are not U.S.
>elections already sufficiently contested?

Without ID, it's *impossible* to determine who voted. Having ID isn't
the complex problem it's being made out to be.

>Concentrating on enforcing existing election laws makes much
>more sense.

Existing laws make no attempt to determine who's voting in most
states. Thgis makes no sense, unless you want to allow anyone to vote
regardless of eligibility.

>> In fact, there are, in most states, not even mechanisms for
>> determining who that person standing there giving a name really is.

>Creating new laws fails to address the current deficiencies. Enforcement
>will still be required. Moreover, enacting new laws designed to prevent
>specific individuals from voting opens the potential for selective
>enforcement. An extremely dangerous precedent no matter where your
>sympathies lie.

I don't understand how requiring ID (by new laws) will not address the
current problem of people voting fraudulantly.

>> With a gun purchase, ID must be checked by Federal law; there's no
>> analogy with voter ID.

>These rules were and remain heavily opposed-- sometimes even by those
>who simply love the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights more than
>they fear firearms (or terrorists, for that matter).

The Constitution does not say voter ID is illegal.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk July 28th 06 05:09 AM

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:47:13 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>>>Really? Check this out:
>>>
>>>Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
>>>social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
>>>of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
>>>whew!)
>>>
>>>http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>>>
>>>Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
>>>organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
>>>non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave
>>>

>> The rules allow 4 points for a passport (out of 6). The requirements
>> for a passport are less onerous than NY requires for other ID.

>You mean HS hasn't gotten around to fixing that yet? I'm sure they are
>grateful to you for pointing out that oversight, and it will be corrected
>overnight. :( -Dave

It's entirely possible there's much more going on here than a simple
need for ID.
However, looking at the requirements, I don't really see anything that
makes getting an ID particularly hard.
Of course, I'm a pretty mainstream person; those who want to stay off
the grid might have a harder time than me. But then, such people don't
want to vote anyway.
Those who are pushing the no ID thing ar eusing the argument that ID
at the polls will keep people from voting; looking at the figures for
how many eligible people actually vote, it would seem that the very
act of voting is too hard for the majority of them. In that sense, I'm
sure that getting an ID is also too hard. But it seems to me that, if
you actually want to vote instead of complain, getting an ID isn't the
hardship some think it is.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Allen Seth Dunn July 28th 06 05:26 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

"necromancer" > wrote in message
th.net...
> [...]

> *bold* vote in the purveyors of the previous tired old establishment
> which is still tired and failed. People don't have the guts to - heaven
> forbid - go into that election booth and vote for someone else - be it
> the Libertarian, the Green, the Communist or what ever. We see it in
> Massachusetts (the kennedy klan), Chicago (right, Brent?), FL and TX
> (the Bush Bozos) and all over.
>
> People bitch about the Dems and the Repubs, yet every 4 years what do we
> get? A Repub or Dem president eventhough there are usually at least 3 or
> 4 other candidates on the ballots. We keep reelecting the same tired old
> failures to the Congress every 2 or 6 years. And untill We The Sheeple
> wake up and start voting for third party or independant candidates, we
> will get more of the same old, same old. IOW, we get the government we

Sounds like someone's been either reading Michael Savage's books or
listening to his radio show. In any case, well said.

Allen Seth Dunn July 28th 06 05:42 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

"Mike T." > wrote in message
reenews.net...
>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
>> some make it out to be.

> Really? Check this out:
>
> Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
> social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
> of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
> whew!)
>
> http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>
> Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
> organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
> non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave

The problem with getting ID nowadays is the run around you get if you are
missing both of your most basic forms of identification. Those being your
birth certificate and social security card. Locally where I live near
Nashville, TN, I've heard that many of the problems related to those trying
to help the legitimately homeless (in other words, not drug addicts), is
that very few of the homeless have a valid driver's license/state ID or a
birth certificate or social security card. The problem is, many states
require that a valid state ID to get a copy of your birth certificate. So
basically, the homeless are stuck in sort of a catch-22, and it requires a
lot of work (and help, from someone who's experienced dealing with that it)
to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on them
to get a license.

Mike T. July 28th 06 05:47 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

> to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
> need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on
> them to get a license.

So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and just
rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved? If you wait a
couple of months (to get a TN driver's license), then you will have utility
bills, etc., with your name and current address on them. But I wouldn't be
surprised if TN law requires you to get a TN driver's license within X
number of days of moving TO TN, or you are automatically suspended/heavily
fined/something else nasty. -Dave

Bill Funk July 28th 06 06:02 PM

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:47:53 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>> to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
>> need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on
>> them to get a license.

>So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and just
>rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved? If you wait a
>couple of months (to get a TN driver's license), then you will have utility
>bills, etc., with your name and current address on them. But I wouldn't be
>surprised if TN law requires you to get a TN driver's license within X
>number of days of moving TO TN, or you are automatically suspended/heavily
>fined/something else nasty. -Dave

Most people who move into a state and want a driver's license already
have one from the state they moved from. Problem solved there.
If the mover doesn't have one already, planning will overcome that
problem, too.
A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my
part.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Mike T. July 28th 06 06:21 PM

"Bill Funk" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:47:53 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:
>
>>> to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
>>> need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on
>>> them to get a license.

>>So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and
>>just
>>rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved? If you wait
>>couple of months (to get a TN driver's license), then you will have
>>utility
>>bills, etc., with your name and current address on them. But I wouldn't
>>be
>>surprised if TN law requires you to get a TN driver's license within X
>>number of days of moving TO TN, or you are automatically suspended/heavily
>>fined/something else nasty. -Dave
>>

> Most people who move into a state and want a driver's license already
> have one from the state they moved from. Problem solved there.

Nope. From what someone else posted, TN requires ID with current address on
it. That is, out-of-state driver's license wouldn't likely have a TN
address on it. -Dave

Matthew Russotto July 28th 06 09:47 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

In article ews.net>,
Mike T. > wrote:
>> to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
>> need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on
>> them to get a license.

>So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and just
>rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved?

Birth certificate, deed or lease agreement, and some random piece of
paper you printed out which has your address on it...
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Bill Funk July 28th 06 10:39 PM

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:21:37 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>"Bill Funk" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and
>>>just
>>>rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved? If you wait
>>>couple of months (to get a TN driver's license), then you will have
>>>utility
>>>bills, etc., with your name and current address on them. But I wouldn't
>>>be
>>>surprised if TN law requires you to get a TN driver's license within X
>>>number of days of moving TO TN, or you are automatically suspended/heavily
>>>fined/something else nasty. -Dave
>>>

>> Most people who move into a state and want a driver's license already
>> have one from the state they moved from. Problem solved there.

>Nope. From what someone else posted, TN requires ID with current address on
>it. That is, out-of-state driver's license wouldn't likely have a TN
>address on it. -Dave

From:
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/requireddocsign.htm
Yes, you need 2 proofs of current residency; they suggest utility
bill, all the regular stuff.
Which would include rent receipt, bank receipt for setting up an
account, receipt for startup payment for utilities...
All things a normal new resident would be able to accumulate within
the grace period.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bob Ward July 29th 06 12:35 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:42:15 -0500, "Allen Seth Dunn"
> wrote:

>"Mike T." > wrote in message
freenews.net...
>>> Personally, I'm for requiring ID. Otherwise, how do you know who is
>>> actually able/allowed to vote? An ID isn't anywhere as hard to get as
>>> some make it out to be.

>> Really? Check this out:
>>
>> Note that IN ADDITION TO your original birth certificate and your original
>> social security card, you need six more points of ID. Various other forms
>> of ID earn points, such as (photo license from another state, 2 points,
>> whew!)
>>
>> http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/idlicense.htm
>>
>> Basically, to get an ID in New York state, you need a hefty briefcase to
>> organize all the paperwork you need to haul to the NY DMV. This is for a
>> non-driver ID, BTW. -Dave
>>

>The problem with getting ID nowadays is the run around you get if you are
>missing both of your most basic forms of identification. Those being your
>birth certificate and social security card. Locally where I live near
>Nashville, TN, I've heard that many of the problems related to those trying
>to help the legitimately homeless (in other words, not drug addicts), is
>that very few of the homeless have a valid driver's license/state ID or a
>birth certificate or social security card. The problem is, many states
>require that a valid state ID to get a copy of your birth certificate. So
>basically, the homeless are stuck in sort of a catch-22, and it requires a
>lot of work (and help, from someone who's experienced dealing with that it)
>to get around that issue. For what it's worth, in Tennessee, I think you
>need your birth certificate and two items with your current address on them
>to get a license.

Here is a site that gives the necessary information to obtain birth,
death, marraige or divorce documentation for all US states and
territories:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm

As far as I can tell, nearly every jurisdictions offers some sort of
workaround, so the "Catch 22" is more likely to be an excuse or sloppy
thinking, rather than fact. For example:

Connecticut: A copy of a photographic identification must be submitted
with any request for a birth certificate. The identification must be a
valid, government issued document. It this is not available, you may
submit photocopies of two other forms of identification.

Colorado: All requests for birth and death record must be accompanied
by a photo copy of the requestor's identification before processing.

Bob Ward July 29th 06 07:06 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:21:37 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

>"Bill Funk" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>So how do you get a driver's license in TN if you just moved to TN, and
>>>just
>>>rented or bought a property at the same time that you moved? If you wait
>>>couple of months (to get a TN driver's license), then you will have
>>>utility
>>>bills, etc., with your name and current address on them. But I wouldn't
>>>be
>>>surprised if TN law requires you to get a TN driver's license within X
>>>number of days of moving TO TN, or you are automatically suspended/heavily
>>>fined/something else nasty. -Dave
>>>

>> Most people who move into a state and want a driver's license already
>> have one from the state they moved from. Problem solved there.

>Nope. From what someone else posted, TN requires ID with current address on
>it. That is, out-of-state driver's license wouldn't likely have a TN
>address on it. -Dave

That's Dave for you - playing the fool on Usenet.

A little research goes a long way, but Dave won't be on the train,
apparently.
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/DLFAQS/dlquestion12.htm
Question: I just moved to Tennessee. When do I get my Tennessee driver
license and what tests will I have to take?

Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must
obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after
establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be
surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to
hold more than one valid driver license.

New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid
Tennessee residence address (Click here for examples of acceptable
proofs of residency.) as well as proof of citizenship or legal
presence (Click here for examples of acceptable proof of citizenship)
and Social Security Number.

(Note: Related Document - Quick guide of documents need to obtain a
Tennessee Driver License. Available in PDF or HTML format in both
English and Spanish - ¿Trajo Los Documentos Necesarios? PDF - HTML )

If a new resident brings a valid, out-of-state driver license (or a
certified driving record from that state showing the license has not
expired), only the vision test is required unless otherwise deemed
necessary by the Examiner. However, if the license has expired over
six months, all tests are required.

New residents from other countries are required to take full tests:
vision, knowledge, and road tests. They will be allowed to keep the
license issued by that country.

For more general driver license information (general info, office
locations, online services etc.), visit the Driver License Issuance
section of our website.

Back to Driver License FAQ Menu

Dave[_4_] July 29th 06 05:24 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

> That's Dave for you - playing the fool on Usenet.
>
> A little research goes a long way, but Dave won't be on the train,
> apparently.
> http://www.state.tn.us/safety/DLFAQS/dlquestion12.htm
> Question: I just moved to Tennessee. When do I get my Tennessee driver
> license and what tests will I have to take?
>
> Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must
> obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after
> establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be
> surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to
> hold more than one valid driver license.
>
> New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid
> Tennessee residence address (Click here for examples of acceptable
> proofs of residency.) as well as proof of citizenship or legal
> presence (Click here for examples of acceptable proof of citizenship)
> and Social Security Number.

Nope, you didn't read what you yourself just posted. The last time we
moved, we didn't get any utility bill for about 45 days after we moved, and
that one was for the last month and a half. Also, my wife couldn't get a
checking account with her name on it because she had no proof of local
residency. That was silly, really . . . the bank gladly issued ME a
checking account, but they wouldn't take my word for it that my wife was
married to me and living with me. Even a copy of our marriage license and a
photo ID didn't help. WTF???

According to the TN rules, my wife would have been in violation of TN law
because she wouldn't have qualified for a license until sometime -after- the
30-day grace period. She could have applied the same day we moved there,
but she wouldn't have gotten one until about 2 months later. -Dave

Dave[_4_] July 29th 06 05:29 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

">
> From:
> http://www.state.tn.us/safety/requireddocsign.htm
> Yes, you need 2 proofs of current residency; they suggest utility
> bill, all the regular stuff.
> Which would include rent receipt, bank receipt for setting up an
> account, receipt for startup payment for utilities...
> All things a normal new resident would be able to accumulate within
> the grace period.
> --

Not so fast. If our last move had been to TN, my wife wouldn't have been
able to come up with the proper proofs till about 2 months after we actually
moved to TN. States seem to be ignorant of the fact that it's possible to
be a legal, local resident, and NOT have your name on anything local. It's
quite probable, in fact. It's called MARRIED, with your spouse buying the
house and paying all the utility bills.

And as I mentioned before, our bank was being a real pain in the ASS when it
came to my wife trying to get a checking account. Didn't happen until we'd
jumped through a couple hoops, and was finally settled about 6 weeks after
we moved. But any proof that TN would have accepted, my wife wouldn't have
been able to furnish any earlier than 45 days after she became a local
resident. -Dave

Bill Funk July 29th 06 06:51 PM

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:29:19 -0400, "Dave" > wrote:

>">
>> From:
>> http://www.state.tn.us/safety/requireddocsign.htm
>> Yes, you need 2 proofs of current residency; they suggest utility
>> bill, all the regular stuff.
>> Which would include rent receipt, bank receipt for setting up an
>> account, receipt for startup payment for utilities...
>> All things a normal new resident would be able to accumulate within
>> the grace period.
>> --

>Not so fast. If our last move had been to TN, my wife wouldn't have been
>able to come up with the proper proofs till about 2 months after we actually
>moved to TN. States seem to be ignorant of the fact that it's possible to
>be a legal, local resident, and NOT have your name on anything local. It's
>quite probable, in fact. It's called MARRIED, with your spouse buying the
>house and paying all the utility bills.

It's entirely possible to have the house in the names of both spouses.
Who *pays* the bills is not germaine; whose name the billes are in is.
If this is a problem, put the different bills in the name of each
spouse; power in the wife's name, phone in hubby's name.

>And as I mentioned before, our bank was being a real pain in the ASS when it
>came to my wife trying to get a checking account. Didn't happen until we'd
>jumped through a couple hoops, and was finally settled about 6 weeks after
>we moved. But any proof that TN would have accepted, my wife wouldn't have
>been able to furnish any earlier than 45 days after she became a local
>resident. -Dave

A little creative thinking will solve the ID problem.
I don't remember the problem with your wife getting a checking
account.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk July 29th 06 06:53 PM

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:24:29 -0400, "Dave" > wrote:

>> That's Dave for you - playing the fool on Usenet.
>>
>> A little research goes a long way, but Dave won't be on the train,
>> apparently.
>> http://www.state.tn.us/safety/DLFAQS/dlquestion12.htm
>> Question: I just moved to Tennessee. When do I get my Tennessee driver
>> license and what tests will I have to take?
>>
>> Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must
>> obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after
>> establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be
>> surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to
>> hold more than one valid driver license.
>>
>> New residents must provide two (2) proofs of their current valid
>> Tennessee residence address (Click here for examples of acceptable
>> proofs of residency.) as well as proof of citizenship or legal
>> presence (Click here for examples of acceptable proof of citizenship)
>> and Social Security Number.

>Nope, you didn't read what you yourself just posted. The last time we
>moved, we didn't get any utility bill for about 45 days after we moved, and
>that one was for the last month and a half. Also, my wife couldn't get a
>checking account with her name on it because she had no proof of local
>residency. That was silly, really . . . the bank gladly issued ME a
>checking account, but they wouldn't take my word for it that my wife was
>married to me and living with me. Even a copy of our marriage license and a
>photo ID didn't help. WTF???

Proof of local residency isn't hard.
You're living somewhere, right? A rent receipt will work, as will an
approved mortgage app.
Maybe a change of bank would be in order, too.

krw July 31st 06 12:39 AM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

In article >,
says...
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:29:19 -0400, "Dave" > wrote:

<snip>

> >Not so fast. If our last move had been to TN, my wife wouldn't have been
> >able to come up with the proper proofs till about 2 months after we actually
> >moved to TN. States seem to be ignorant of the fact that it's possible to
> >be a legal, local resident, and NOT have your name on anything local. It's
> >quite probable, in fact. It's called MARRIED, with your spouse buying the
> >house and paying all the utility bills.

> It's entirely possible to have the house in the names of both spouses.
> Who *pays* the bills is not germaine; whose name the billes are in is.
> If this is a problem, put the different bills in the name of each
> spouse; power in the wife's name, phone in hubby's name.

Have all the accounts in both names. Yes, it's called MARRIED.

> >And as I mentioned before, our bank was being a real pain in the ASS when it
> >came to my wife trying to get a checking account. Didn't happen until we'd
> >jumped through a couple hoops, and was finally settled about 6 weeks after
> >we moved. But any proof that TN would have accepted, my wife wouldn't have
> >been able to furnish any earlier than 45 days after she became a local
> >resident. -Dave
> >

> A little creative thinking will solve the ID problem.
> I don't remember the problem with your wife getting a checking
> account.

Yes, I'd like to hear this one. We've never had any trouble
getting a checking account.

--
Keith

Mike T. July 31st 06 04:54 PM

Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

>> I don't remember the problem with your wife getting a checking
>> account.

> Yes, I'd like to hear this one. We've never had any trouble
> getting a checking account.

OK, it went like this. We've always had our finances somewhat separate.
She earns her money, and decides what to spend it on. I earn enough money
that I can handle all the household stuff with money left over, so I just
pay all the bills (mortgage, utilities, etc.). So we keep two checking
accounts, and various savings accounts, etc. It's just easier for us. She
doesn't need to consult me before buying something, and I don't care anyway
(she has her own money). Plus it's easier to keep the checkbook(s)
balanced, as neither one of us is trying to keep track of someone else's
transactions.

When we moved a couple years ago, we moved into an area where our bank (the
one we used for checking) had no branches or ATMs. No big deal, went online
to research the banks in our new state and found one that looked like it
would work for us. Immediately after moving, we both went to the local
branch to sign up for checking accounts. This was a bank neither one of us
had ever dealt with, and we had no accounts there.

We had to fill out some forms, and furnish identifying documents. Those
documents included something showing our local address. My name was
"primary" on my checking account, her name was "primary" on her checking
account. BOTH of our names were to be listed on the checks for both
accounts. We were both on the signature card for both accounts. The bank
manager (who was trying to get the checking accounts set up) informed us
that a background check would need to be run, and that it might take about
24 hours.

We didn't have anything to give the bank manager with my wife's name on it
AND her new address. The mortgage, utilities, and all else related to the
house were in my name. The bank manager said it shouldn't be a problem. We
didn't give it much more thought. My wife still had the old checking
account with money in it, so she kept using that, and she'd take out money
at grocery stores, etc., (using her old debit card) so she wouldn't get
dinged with the ATM fees.

A couple weeks later, we get a phone call from the bank saying that they
MUST get some kind of document (utility bill or something) with my wife's
name and current address on it, or they'll have to close my wife's checking
account as her identity could not be verified per their rules. They also
said something about new federal regulations requiring a background check,
blah blah. I calmly explain that there is nothing related to our property
that has my wife's name on it. They wouldn't budge. We went back and forth
with the bank for a few weeks. It was frustrating, but we called other
banks and learned that they had the same rule, so switching banks wouldn't
have helped.

Finally I said ****it, called up the electric company, had the service
switched to her name. Then had the electric company fax us a current
statement. Then immediately called the electric company back and had the
service switched back to my name.

So the only way we could get my wife a checking account was with a forged
utility bill, about 6 weeks after we moved. :) -Dave

Bob Ward August 1st 06 12:00 AM

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:54:27 -0400, "Mike T." > wrote:

> [...]

>account as her identity could not be verified per their rules. They also
>said something about new federal regulations requiring a background check,
>blah blah. I calmly explain that there is nothing related to our property
>that has my wife's name on it. They wouldn't budge. We went back and forth
>with the bank for a few weeks. It was frustrating, but we called other
>banks and learned that they had the same rule, so switching banks wouldn't
>have helped.
>
>Finally I said ****it, called up the electric company, had the service
>switched to her name. Then had the electric company fax us a current
>statement. Then immediately called the electric company back and had the
>service switched back to my name.
>
>So the only way we could get my wife a checking account was with a forged
>utility bill, about 6 weeks after we moved. :) -Dave

No, that is the way that you CHOSE to do it, but if the electric bill
had been in her name on your first visit, all the melodrama would have
been avoided.

The fact that you chose to make things more difficult doesn't mean
that there was no other way to do it.