AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Needlessly paying for information (speedways.co.uk) (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14191)

Iain Miller October 17th 04 10:40 PM

Needlessly paying for information (speedways.co.uk)

In case anyone else was considering paying £5 to download instructions for
changing a B5 cambelt (or on a range of other procedures) from
www.speedways.co.uk as I did (fool be me)...... you might try having a look
at http://volkswagen.msk.ru/ first where you can download (for free) the
exact same document I paid for and a range of others. Alternatvely have a
look at the forums on www.clubb5.com instead where there is loads of
information available for free.

Ain't there just some great people on the plant ?

I.

Nick October 18th 04 08:48 AM

Iain Miller wrote:
> In case anyone else was considering paying £5 to download instructions for
> changing a B5 cambelt (or on a range of other procedures) from
> www.speedways.co.uk as I did (fool be me)...... you might try having a look
> at http://volkswagen.msk.ru/ first where you can download (for free) the
> exact same document I paid for and a range of others. Alternatvely have a
> look at the forums on www.clubb5.com instead where there is loads of
> information available for free.
>
> Ain't there just some great people on the plant ?
>
> I.

Also see...

http://www.qclt.com/wego/vag-com/technicalbulletin.pdf

Don't you mean on the planet?

Iain Miller October 18th 04 10:46 AM

> > Ain't there just some great people on the plant ?
> >
> > I.
> >

> Also see...
>
> http://www.qclt.com/wego/vag-com/technicalbulletin.pdf
>
> Don't you mean on the planet?

Indeed I did (!)

I.

Neil Down October 18th 04 11:07 AM

Better off spending £ 14 on the Haynes manual mate.

Neil.

Darryl October 18th 04 02:18 PM

>Better off spending £ 14 on the Haynes manual mate.

IMHO, http://volkswagen.msk.ru/ is superior to Haynes and it's "free".
If you don't speak Russian, simply use the search function for--most
of the pdfs are in English and they date back to at least '85. Most
documents give a nut-by-nut breakdown.

OTOH, the Haynes manual can substitute for a cheap head-rest (in
Canada, they're only $15) ;-)

Neil Down October 18th 04 03:16 PM

I've already provided this link to Iain and I am well aware of the benefits
of that site and have used it on occasion. My point was that £14 on the
Haynes manual is better spent than £6.00 on a single document from
speedways.co.uk; my point was not that Haynes was better (or otherwise) than
the Russian site. No single source is sufficient IMHO for some of the larger
jobs on the Passat. I use Haynes, the Bentley manual and various web
resources. Like anything else, the Haynes is great for some jobs and next to
useless for others. Not a very good head-rest either I suspect unless they
still sell them in hardback over in Canada ;-)

Iain Miller October 18th 04 07:22 PM

"Neil Down" > wrote in message
> Better off spending £ 14 on the Haynes manual mate.

So I found out.....I did the download over a week ago & have been
stewing/seething over it since I found the link to the same doc. I just
posted the information so (hopefully) nobody else would get ripped off.

Oh and I bought a Haynes manual too ;-)

rgds

I.