AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alfa 164 V6 Super-Gearbox hole so scrapping/selling (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=257)

Strathmore Vincent July 12th 04 12:47 AM

Alfa 164 V6 Super-Gearbox hole so scrapping/selling

Dear Reader,

The subject says most of it. About 18 months ago I bought a 164 Super
and have been running it with no problems at all, until last week when
the gearbox gave way and all it's fluid ended up on the road via the
bell housing! I have been quoted £400 to fix it (mostly labour to get
the thing out) but I don't have the time and I feel it's right I
bought a slightly more expensive car anyway (paid £750 for it, with
130,000 miles on the clock). I was going to send it away to the great
big scrap yard in the sky but I thought I'd see if anyone wanted it
for spares or to fix up. It is still in good condition throughout
apart from the gearbox and a small dent in the drivers side rear wing.
The engine is great now at 147,000 miles and all the electrics work.
It has also recently just passed it's MOT with a few hundred pounds
going on it to get into shape (complete oil change, brake caliper
change, bonnet release cable replaced, alignment, 1 new tyre, new fuse
box). It's burgundy and is a 1994/L mark 2 version with the colour
coded bumpers. It can still be driven as it is, though I would advise
against it and recommend anybody interested use a trailer. If you are
interested either leave a message on here or on my e-mail,
alternatively give me a call on 01580 240100.

Regards,
James