AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   More Sloth on my Part? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8269)

Brent P January 14th 05 06:11 AM

More Sloth on my Part?

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Only if you advocate it over fixing the intersection's underlying
problems.

Brent P January 14th 05 06:11 AM

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. January 14th 05 07:03 AM

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how I
> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

It's basic defensive driving, in my opinion. And the car behind you
shouldn't be any closer than 2 seconds following distance, such that the
momentary slowdown shouldn't impact traffic flow by that much.

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. January 14th 05 07:03 AM

[email protected] January 14th 05 02:55 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is

no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how

> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Scott, why do you have all your post requests not to be archived?

I think the intersection needs to be fixed. Either by fixing the
visibility issue, if possible, or just getting a stop sign placed
instead of a yield.

[email protected] January 14th 05 02:55 PM

Paul January 14th 05 05:42 PM

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Since the intersection you described has one or more flaws to it, I
would say that to slow down would be "reasonable and prudent," and not
sloth.

--

Friends don't let friends shop at wal-mart or circuit city.

Paul January 14th 05 05:42 PM

John David Galt January 14th 05 09:19 PM

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> I've written several times about the 'T' intersection in my
> neighborhood where traffic coming from the stem of the T has a yield
> sign, and traffic crossing the T does not. I've mentioned how this
> intersection has poor visibility, and how most people who regularly
> turn left from the stem of the T habitually blow off the yield sign
> because 99% of the times they go through this intersection there is no
> cross-traffic. You may recall the many close calls I've had, and how I
> have cussed out drivers such as the stupid bitch in the white Corolla
> who flew through the intersection with a cell phone up to her left
> ear.
>
> Knowing how dangerous this intersection is, would you consider it
> "advocating Sloth" if I were to slow down when approaching it until I
> was close enough to see down the stem of the 'T' and verify that some
> dumb**** is not about to T-bone me?

Sometimes the need is unavoidable, if you're not driving a well enough
built car. I drive a Volvo to avoid having to drive that way. In your
situation I'd probably have been going fast enough that I couldn't
avoid creaming the Corolla, and I wouldn't lose any sleep afterward.

John David Galt January 14th 05 09:19 PM