AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   HEI (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73245)

pater August 27th 06 02:01 AM

HEI

What year did GM switch from points to HEI. Was the first year for HEI
73 or 74

Nate Nagel August 27th 06 02:39 AM

HEI

pater wrote:
> What year did GM switch from points to HEI. Was the first year for HEI
> 73 or 74

Not sure about passenger cars, but a '73 pickup still had the "window"
distributor with points.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Steve W.[_2_] August 27th 06 03:25 AM

HEI

Nate Nagel wrote:
> pater wrote:
>> What year did GM switch from points to HEI. Was the first year for HEI
>> 73 or 74
>>

> Not sure about passenger cars, but a '73 pickup still had the "window"
> distributor with points.
>
> nate

late 74 on some models. 75 across the board.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Kruse August 27th 06 03:26 AM

HEI

pater wrote:
> What year did GM switch from points to HEI. Was the first year for HEI
> 73 or 74

If my memory hasn't completely failed me, Cadillac had the first HEI in
'74, and the other GM makes had it in 75. It's possible Cadillac had a
few HEI units in 73. Maybe my CRS syndrome has failed me......

pater August 27th 06 02:46 PM

HEI

Thanks ,bought an old truck with a pontiac motor & it has a breaker
point dist in it. Looks like an older restoration with a Nova (or
probably ventura) subframe welded in at the front. Traced the engine
code to narrow it down to a '73 400 or a '74 455 all other engines
using a Y4 code are 76 & 77, so providing the dist is OE, I've narrowed
it to 2 choices. Will check the rest of the #'s to figure it out,
Thanks again for the input.

ray August 27th 06 04:00 PM

HEI

Steve W. wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> pater wrote:
>>
>>> What year did GM switch from points to HEI. Was the first year for HEI
>>> 73 or 74
>>>

>> Not sure about passenger cars, but a '73 pickup still had the "window"
>> distributor with points.
>>
>> nate
>>

> late 74 on some models. 75 across the board.

There was also a breakerless non-HEI offered from 71-73 on some pontiacs
called Unitized...
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...nition_option/