AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   hard shifting Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17983)

Tokay January 2nd 05 01:43 AM

So, here's an update:
I still am having trouble shifting, to the point that I can't drive it
now. I checked the clutch fluid (someting I didn't realize could be
checked), and saw that the reservoir was alomost empty. I figure this
could account for air in the lines. So I added more hydraulic fluid,
and pumped the clutch rapidly for a while to see if I couldn't work out
those air bubbles.
I'd bleed it, but I'm not sure I know how. I learned how to bleed
brakes, but I can barely remember how to do that...
It improved, I could shift easier, and the pedal felt a bit more meaty.
It still wasn't 100% so I decided to have something done about it.
The next day, I was going to drive it to the service shop (the clutch
is a new area for me, so I dare not dink around with it just yet). I
get in, start it, but could not get it in gear. Checked the fluid
again, not low. Checked under the car, no hydraulic fluid spots.
I decided to just replace the whole damn thing (because the master and
slave cylinders come as one $170 unit in Saturns, I have to replace the
whole thing)

Any advice on how to replace the thing? It doesn't look like it
requires any special tools, but I've been take by surprise halfway
thorugh a job before.

better yet, any advice on how to bleed the clutch lines? I seriously
need a refresher....