AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WARNING, ON TOPIC POST! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74516)

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 03:58 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

I overfilled my 1.6, the oil level was down to the add mark and without
thinking I dumped in a quart. Checking it cold shows I should have
added only about 1/2 quart.

Is this going to hurt anything? I wouldn't worry about it in most cars
but the sump is fairly small.....

I've driven it a little and kept a close eye on the guage, all seems
well, my main concern with overfilling is that the crank throws will
contact the oil surface and cause it to froth resulting in a loss of
pressure, I think there's more than enough depth to the oilpan to
prevent that but does anyone know for sure?

Iva September 13th 06 04:23 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

XS11E wrote:
> I overfilled my 1.6, the oil level was down to the add mark and without
> thinking I dumped in a quart. Checking it cold shows I should have
> added only about 1/2 quart.
>
> Is this going to hurt anything? I wouldn't worry about it in most cars
> but the sump is fairly small.....
>
> I've driven it a little and kept a close eye on the guage, all seems
> well, my main concern with overfilling is that the crank throws will
> contact the oil surface and cause it to froth resulting in a loss of
> pressure, I think there's more than enough depth to the oilpan to
> prevent that but does anyone know for sure?

No, you've severely damaged your engine and you need to park the car
immediately and turn the keys over to me.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Natman September 13th 06 05:30 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:58:14 -0700, XS11E >
wrote:

>I overfilled my 1.6, the oil level was down to the add mark and without
>thinking I dumped in a quart. Checking it cold shows I should have
>added only about 1/2 quart.
>
>Is this going to hurt anything? I wouldn't worry about it in most cars
>but the sump is fairly small.....
>
>I've driven it a little and kept a close eye on the guage, all seems
>well, my main concern with overfilling is that the crank throws will
>contact the oil surface and cause it to froth resulting in a loss of
>pressure, I think there's more than enough depth to the oilpan to
>prevent that but does anyone know for sure?

Shouldn't hurt anything, but the good news is that it's easy to fix
with a Mityvac. Just suck the extra out of the dipstick hole. I found
this out after I foolishly believed the manual and put in a full 4
quarts of oil after a change.

http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/06820.jpg

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 09:32 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

"Iva" .> wrote in :

> No, you've severely damaged your engine and you need to park the
> car immediately and turn the keys over to me.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I'm sending the keys, they'll be
there any minute........ just hold your breath until they get there....

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 09:34 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

Natman > wrote in
:

> Shouldn't hurt anything, but the good news is that it's easy to
> fix with a Mityvac.

I thought of that but it seems like a fairly small amount. I do have a
sucker thingy but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble?

Chuck September 14th 06 01:59 AM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

Well you could remove and drain the filter, or just replace it. That should
bring the level back to about normal.

M. Cantera September 14th 06 02:19 AM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

If the dipstick is a around a 1/4 inch overfill, don't worry about it.
If its over 1/2 inch overfill, I would take out a little of the oil,
just for the peace of mind.

The oil does have anti-foaming additives (unless you are buying the
really cheap stuff) and remember that small engines (think lawn mowers
and such) are splash lubricated so the splashing that may occur with a
small overfill is not a problem.

:

Zog The Undeniable September 14th 06 06:33 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

Chuck wrote:

> Well you could remove and drain the filter, or just replace it. That should
> bring the level back to about normal.

Or just let a bit run out of the sump plug. The washer will be fine if
reused just this once.

pws[_1_] September 14th 06 07:08 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Or just let a bit run out of the sump plug. The washer will be fine if
> reused just this once.

More than just this once.
I re-used the washer on my last car at least 10 times and it never
leaked a drop from drain hole. I know the previous owner of a 1991 model
who went over 10 years using the same washer without leaking.

The original washer on my parent's Camry is leaking a tiny amount of oil
after 13 years and 145K miles, so I will probably make sure I replace
mine at least once every 30 oil changes or so.

Pat

Iva September 15th 06 02:24 AM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

XS11E wrote:
>Iva wrote:
>> No, you've severely damaged your engine and you need to park the
>> car immediately and turn the keys over to me.

> Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I'm sending the keys, they'll be
> there any minute........ just hold your breath until they get there....

<VBG>
Hurry up, I'm starting to turn blue!

As my dad used to say, everybody's got to have a smart *something*.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata