AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   3 speed Dodge Ram Van oil consumption (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8332)

John Kunkel October 7th 04 06:01 PM

3 speed Dodge Ram Van oil consumption

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Jay wrote:
>
> > Got a '96 Dodge Ram Van 250. It's a 3 speed, no overdrive.

> I doubt that very much. Are you sure there's not an "O/D OFF" button on
> the dashboard that's pressed and you just didn't notice it?

The 727 was still available well into the nineties, I have a friend with a
'95 van with a 727. I didn't believe it myself until I crawled under; no OD.

> > The engine runs way too fast on the highway, it consumed 4 quarts of oil
> > in 800 miles on a highway run at 65-70 mph.

> The engine speed is not connected with the oil consumption. If your engine
> "consumed" (or lost) 4 quarts of oil in 800 miles, you either have a
> whipped engine or a large leak.

Disagree, many vans had ridiculously low axle ratios and the absence of OD
would have the motor running at 3500+ rpm's at freeway speeds.
A tired motor will suck more oil at 3500 than it will at 1800.

Daniel J. Stern October 7th 04 07:39 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, John Kunkel wrote:

> > The engine speed is not connected with the oil consumption. If your
> > engine "consumed" (or lost) 4 quarts of oil in 800 miles, you either
> > have a whipped engine or a large leak.

> Disagree, many vans had ridiculously low axle ratios and the absence of
> OD would have the motor running at 3500+ rpm's at freeway speeds. A
> tired motor will suck more oil at 3500 than it will at 1800.

....and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

Daniel J. Stern October 7th 04 07:39 PM

maxpower October 7th 04 10:56 PM

does this van have the 5.2 318 engine?

glenn Beasley
chrysler tech

maxpower October 7th 04 10:56 PM

Bob October 8th 04 01:38 AM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, John Kunkel wrote:
>
>> > The engine speed is not connected with the oil consumption. If your
>> > engine "consumed" (or lost) 4 quarts of oil in 800 miles, you either
>> > have a whipped engine or a large leak.

>> Disagree, many vans had ridiculously low axle ratios and the absence of
>> OD would have the motor running at 3500+ rpm's at freeway speeds. A
>> tired motor will suck more oil at 3500 than it will at 1800.

> ...and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

But it will "get" tired at least twice as fast

Bob October 8th 04 01:38 AM

Matt Whiting October 8th 04 01:47 AM

Bob wrote:

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...

>>>Disagree, many vans had ridiculously low axle ratios and the absence of
>>>OD would have the motor running at 3500+ rpm's at freeway speeds. A
>>>tired motor will suck more oil at 3500 than it will at 1800.

>>...and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

> But it will "get" tired at least twice as fast

Not necessarily.

Matt

Matt Whiting October 8th 04 01:47 AM

Bob October 8th 04 02:23 AM

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
>
>> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
>> n.umich.edu...

>>>...and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

>> But it will "get" tired at least twice as fast

> Not necessarily.
>

> Matt

If everything else is equal it certainly well.
Bob