AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Interpreting VIN (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14152)

Jeff Bailey October 9th 04 12:25 AM

Interpreting VIN

I'm buying a 2001 Passat over the internet. When I plug the VIN into carfax,
it comes back as a 4motion, which I believe is a 6 cylinder. The dealer says
it is a 1.8 turbo. How do I interpret the VIN to know for sure?

Woodchuck October 9th 04 02:38 AM

Just open the hood and see which engine is there? If you are unsure what
each engine looks like just ask the dealer to show you. I would think the
dealer knows more about the car than carfax does. Carfax has only one
interest, which is generating $$$$$$$$ for itself. Here in the USA all 2001
4-motions were 2.8l V6's.

Matt B. October 9th 04 02:52 AM

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> Just open the hood and see which engine is there?

He said it's over the internet (so he probably can't see the car in person).

[email protected] October 9th 04 02:37 PM

Have them open the hood, take a picture of the engine and take a
picture of the vin.

"Woodchuck" > wrote:

>Just open the hood and see which engine is there? If you are unsure what
>each engine looks like just ask the dealer to show you. I would think the
>dealer knows more about the car than carfax does. Carfax has only one
>interest, which is generating $$$$$$$$ for itself. Here in the USA all 2001
>4-motions were 2.8l V6's.
>
>"Jeff Bailey" > wrote in message
>> I'm buying a 2001 Passat over the internet. When I plug the VIN into
>> carfax, it comes back as a 4motion, which I believe is a 6 cylinder. The
>> dealer says it is a 1.8 turbo. How do I interpret the VIN to know for
>> sure?

Jim B.

Woodchuck October 9th 04 05:13 PM

Yes the VIN does tell you which engine. E-mail me the VIN and will check it
out.

Mike Smith October 11th 04 04:57 PM

Jeff Bailey wrote:

> I'm buying a 2001 Passat over the internet. When I plug the VIN into carfax,
> it comes back as a 4motion, which I believe is a 6 cylinder. The dealer says
> it is a 1.8 turbo. How do I interpret the VIN to know for sure?

If it's in the US, and it's an '01, and a 4Motion, I believe it *has* to
be a V6. 4Motion was not available on 1.8T models until a year or two ago.

--
Mike Smith