AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fog lights or driving lights? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=18105)

rubenoff January 4th 05 12:33 AM

Fog lights or driving lights?

Good topic, The DRL that operates in the low beam of vehicles has more to
offer for oncoming drivers
(1) No added lights to face required to operate DRL
(2) low beam is already focused low in lamp design
(3) allows drivers to recognize low beam operations
(4) The DRL1 Kit extinguises with park brake application
(5) avoids additional DRL lamps that cannot be shut off
in the pretention of being fog or driving lamps

Listed below is the weblink to the canadian inventor of our DRL

http://www.pacificinsight.com/
We have 2 vehicles with the DRL1 kits and like them very much.

Daniel J. Stern January 4th 05 06:16 AM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, rubenoff wrote:

> Good topic, The DRL that operates in the low beam of vehicles has more to
> offer for oncoming drivers

Actually, that's wrong. Low beams (at any intensity), high beams (at any
intensity), fog lamps (at any intensity) and full-time turn signals are
very disbeneficial as DRLs, because none of these functions is
photometrically close to the ideal DRL.

A separate, functionally-dedicated white daylight running lamp is the way
to get the maximum possible safety benefit with the minimum possible
annoyance, cost and safety disbenefit.

> Listed below is the weblink to the canadian inventor of our DRL

Blah, blah, whatever. Pacific Insight did not "invent" DRLs. And the 5w
auxiliary parking lamps on your '04 Freestar do not cause glare.

DS