AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Thacham Categories (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72089)

Westy August 11th 06 08:47 PM

Thacham Categories

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have changed my car insurance company and the new
insurer is insisting I have a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser on my
car.

I have a 2003 A4 - can anyone advise what Thatcham category the
standard immobiliser is on the A4? I think it is at least a category
2 but need to be sure.

Thanks,

Steve

Peter[_2_] August 11th 06 09:52 PM

Thacham Categories

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:47:09 +0100, Westy
> wrote:

>I have a 2003 A4 - can anyone advise what Thatcham category the
>standard immobiliser is on the A4? I think it is at least a category
>2 but need to be sure.

I suggest checking with your local dealer, but think that it'll
probably be a category 1. You might find it helpful to check the
Thatcham web site
(http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75), which includes
categorised lists of security devices in pdf. The category 1 list
appears to support my thinking.

Peter.

Westy August 11th 06 10:19 PM

Thacham Categories

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:52:57 +0100, Peter >
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:47:09 +0100, Westy
> wrote:
>
>>I have a 2003 A4 - can anyone advise what Thatcham category the
>>standard immobiliser is on the A4? I think it is at least a category
>>2 but need to be sure.

>I suggest checking with your local dealer, but think that it'll
>probably be a category 1. You might find it helpful to check the
>Thatcham web site
>(http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75), which includes
>categorised lists of security devices in pdf. The category 1 list
>appears to support my thinking.
>
>Peter.

Thanks Peter - this page:
http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT2.pdf

confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham
Cat 2.

Peter[_2_] August 12th 06 05:56 AM

Thacham Categories

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:19:40 +0100, Westy
> wrote:

>Thanks Peter - this page:
>http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT2.pdf
>
>confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham
>Cat 2.

It doesn't matter, but that sounds odd to me: it means no alarm, just
an immobiliser.
http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT1.pdf
says A4, all models, from March 01on have a Category 1 system. Do you
really only have an Audi Immobiliser (category 2) rather than Audi
Security System I (category 1)? (Category 1 is better than category 2,
so you meet your insurer's requirements either way.)

As a matter of curiosity, which insurer is it? I'm a bit surprised
that they didn't require category 1. Last time I used an insurer that
needed me to check the category, they required me to have a category 1
system. (I did - that was on a '98 BMW 3 Series.) When I bought my A4
and switched to my present insurer, they didn't ask, presumably
because they already knew what I had as standard and were satisfied
with it.

Peter.

Jon B August 23rd 06 01:07 PM

Thacham Categories

Peter > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:19:40 +0100, Westy
> > wrote:
>
> >Thanks Peter - this page:
> >http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT2.pdf
> >
> >confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham
> >Cat 2.

> It doesn't matter, but that sounds odd to me: it means no alarm, just
> an immobiliser.
> http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdf...gerCarCAT1.pdf
> says A4, all models, from March 01on have a Category 1 system. Do you
> really only have an Audi Immobiliser (category 2) rather than Audi
> Security System I (category 1)? (Category 1 is better than category 2,
> so you meet your insurer's requirements either way.)
>
> As a matter of curiosity, which insurer is it? I'm a bit surprised
> that they didn't require category 1. Last time I used an insurer that
> needed me to check the category, they required me to have a category 1
> system. (I did - that was on a '98 BMW 3 Series.) When I bought my A4
> and switched to my present insurer, they didn't ask, presumably
> because they already knew what I had as standard and were satisfied
> with it.

The required category of alarm depends on the car being insured, how
desirable it is to thiefs, how often they go missing, and how strong the
factory system is, a lot of the latest subaru's for eg not only need
cat1 but tracker too, my Golf GTI just needed a cat2 fitted.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.