AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Audi Special tools (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1374)

~ ElektraMan ~ November 3rd 04 04:59 AM

Audi Special tools

Hi,

I'm about to take on the job of changing my timing belt on my 100. In my
research of the job I understand there are 2 special tools available, but
hey are Over $150 !

Tools #'s 2079 & 2084

They are used for removal of crankshaft pulley and crankshaft bolt.
Anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price? Or are there
improvised tools you can use instead?

TIA
Steve

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if everything is."

.....Albert Einstein

John Prendergast November 3rd 04 11:28 AM

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:59:58 GMT, "~ ElektraMan ~" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm about to take on the job of changing my timing belt on my 100. In my
>research of the job I understand there are 2 special tools available, but
>hey are Over $150 !
>
>Tools #'s 2079 & 2084
>
>They are used for removal of crankshaft pulley and crankshaft bolt.
>Anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price? Or are there
>improvised tools you can use instead?

I got my 2084 from Zelenda Automotive in Forest Hills, NY
(718) 896-2288 or (888) 892-8348. Sometimes they show up on ebay.

That's really all you need, and it can even be done without that. The
other one is, if I recall, just a torque magnifier. You can achieve
the same result with a breaker bar and extension.

To lock the camshaft sprocket, put a large screwdriver through the
lifting eye and one of the camshaft sprocket holes.

dave November 3rd 04 01:26 PM

>From: "~ ElektraMan ~"
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm about to take on the job of changing my timing belt on my 100. In my
>research of the job I understand there are 2 special tools available, but
>hey are Over $150 !
>
>Tools #'s 2079 & 2084
>
>They are used for removal of crankshaft pulley and crankshaft bolt.
>Anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price? Or are there
>improvised tools you can use instead?

Do a search in this newsgroup, we just discussed this last month for an Audi
100 or 5000.
I use a brake adjusting tool to lock the driveplate/crank from moving while I
loosen or tighten crank sprocket bolt.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Tony November 3rd 04 07:45 PM

This is an I5? yes?

The screwdriver through the cam sprocket is a VERY high risk approach. (Belt can
break and bend valves > pull head)

Another high risk idea is a screwdriver in the timing hole to hold the flywheel
teeth. (Break teeth > pull the trans)

Some make their own tool for holding the crank. Others have had success by
wrapping a strong rope around the dampener pulley.

I recommend buying the TB kit from one of the on-line sources like
Blaufergnugen. When you buy from them you can rent the tools for about $30 and
return when done. They do ask for a BIG deposit until returned but you can trust
that they will credit it when returned.

John Prendergast November 3rd 04 10:33 PM

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:45:43 -0600, Tony >
wrote:

>This is an I5? yes?
>
>The screwdriver through the cam sprocket is a VERY high risk approach. (Belt can
>break and bend valves > pull head)

That's only for loosening the cam sprocket bolt AFTER the crankshaft
bolt has been loosened.