AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Redline for a 325iS (E36) (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25070)

t0ph3r February 22nd 05 11:59 PM

Redline for a 325iS (E36)

Can anyone recommend the correct Redline oil products to replace my standard
transmission and diff oil? The local supplier is unsure which products are
recommended.
Thanks, t0ph3r

Chris D'Agnolo February 23rd 05 04:03 AM

I would think it would be in the owners manual. IIRC my sons 92 325i manual
tranny takes automatic transmission fluid. Differential is probably 80/90w
gear lube.

Chris

Richard Sperry February 23rd 05 03:30 PM

For the transmission Redline D4 ATF, For the diff, if it is limited slip,
then the 75-90 gear oil is fine,, non l/s they have a 75-90 ns (nonslip)

[email protected] February 24th 05 09:56 AM

Richard Sperry wrote:
> For the transmission Redline D4 ATF, For the diff, if it is limited

slip,
> then the 75-90 gear oil is fine,, non l/s they have a 75-90 ns

(nonslip)

Surely the second part should be the other way around?

Richard Sperry February 24th 05 12:22 PM

Why would you say that?

From the Redline web site
For 75-90 NS
"This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for
limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers
come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier
low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip
differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin."

oups.com...

Somebody February 24th 05 01:57 PM

"Richard Sperry" > wrote in message
> Why would you say that?
>
> From the Redline web site
> For 75-90 NS
> "This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for
> limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission

synchronizers
> come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much

easier
> low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip
> differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin."
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Richard Sperry wrote:
> >> For the transmission Redline D4 ATF, For the diff, if it is limited

> > slip,
> >> then the 75-90 gear oil is fine,, non l/s they have a 75-90 ns

> > (nonslip)
> >>

> > Surely the second part should be the other way around?

I've read that my iX requires Redline 70W-80 GL-4. Redline sells only
70W-80 GL-5. Is there a difference?

-Russ.

Rob Munach February 24th 05 05:48 PM

> I've read that my iX requires Redline 70W-80 GL-4. Redline sells only
> 70W-80 GL-5. Is there a difference?
>
> -Russ.

The best thing to do is call Redline Tech Support. They are very helpful.
(800) 624-7958

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

tech27 February 24th 05 05:52 PM

I don't want to start a big thing here, but I have heard of Redline products
causing tranny problems in the E39 M5's.

oups.com...

Somebody February 24th 05 09:21 PM

"Rob Munach" > wrote in message

> > I've read that my iX requires Redline 70W-80 GL-4. Redline sells only
> > 70W-80 GL-5. Is there a difference?
> >
> > -Russ.
> >

> The best thing to do is call Redline Tech Support. They are very helpful.
> (800) 624-7958
>
> --
> Rob Munach, PE
> Excel Engineering
> PO Box 1264
> Carrboro, NC 27510

Not only did he know when I told him that I heard I was supposed to use
70W-80 GL4, that my transmission has no sticker and allan style 17" fill
plugs (ie he knows which of the three possible transmissions I have) but he
told me in fact I want MTL for this unit.

It's on order now.

-Russ.

[email protected] February 25th 05 02:24 PM

Richard Sperry wrote:
> Why would you say that?
>
> From the Redline web site
> For 75-90 NS
> "This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for
> limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission

synchronizers
> come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much

easier
> low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip
> differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin."

Ah, just usually the standard oil is for standard diffs & the oil for
LSDs has codes after it to say it contains friction modifiers. That's
not true in this case it seems.