AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Electrical Surge in 1997 Honda Accord (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=63557)

[email protected] April 26th 06 06:41 PM

Electrical Surge in 1997 Honda Accord

Hello,
I have a very interesting problem with my 1997 Honda Accord.
While I am driving the electrical current surges every so often. It
seems to happen at random times. When the current surges the headlights
get brighter, the AC blower blows harder, and all the interior lights
get real bright. This problem has burnt my head lights out several
times.
Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I thought that the
fuses should protect against this. Does the car have some type of
voltage regulator that needs replaced?

Elle April 26th 06 06:46 PM

Electrical Surge in 1997 Honda Accord

I sure would suspect the alternator's voltage regulator.

Try the five quick and dirty checks listed at
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id13.html , about
two-fifths of the way down.

Try also the 97 Civic service manual's checks on the
alternator, using the free online manual linked at
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html .

Updates are welcome.

Graham W April 26th 06 10:20 PM

Electrical Surge in 1997 Honda Accord

A quick check of the battery terminals and the ground strap
would be good, too. The battery should hold down these surges
if everything is in good order. By the way, we should be talking
voltage surges here :).