AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   300C vs Monaro vs Jag S (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8610)

Dori A Schmetterling October 26th 04 12:33 PM

300C vs Monaro vs Jag S

Last night on a BBC channel Top Gear, probably the UK's premier TV motoring
programme, ran a head-to-head test of three "muscle cars":
- Vauxhall Monaro (i.e. the Holden from Australia)
- 300C (which is coming to the UK with RHD next year)
- souped-up Jaguar S with 4-litre engine.

The panel of three -- including the known-in-the-USA Jeremy Clarkson --
voted 2:1 for the Monaro, the minority vote going for the Jag.

All three did not like the 300C's ride/handling or interior, but did like
its imposing appearance ("designed by Al Capone") and its relatively low
price.

DAS
---

General Schvantzkoph October 26th 04 03:21 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:33:48 +0100, Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Last night on a BBC channel Top Gear, probably the UK's premier TV motoring
> programme, ran a head-to-head test of three "muscle cars":
> - Vauxhall Monaro (i.e. the Holden from Australia)
> - 300C (which is coming to the UK with RHD next year)
> - souped-up Jaguar S with 4-litre engine.
>
> The panel of three -- including the known-in-the-USA Jeremy Clarkson --
> voted 2:1 for the Monaro, the minority vote going for the Jag.
>
> All three did not like the 300C's ride/handling or interior, but did like
> its imposing appearance ("designed by Al Capone") and its relatively low
> price.
>
> DAS

Is the Monaro the same as the Pontiac GTO? The GTO is a relabled Holden.

General Schvantzkoph October 26th 04 03:21 PM

Dori A Schmetterling October 26th 04 06:15 PM

Correct, the Holden/Vauxhall is the Pontiac GTO, though I don't know how
many changes are made in the tramsition, other than the location of the
steering wheel. Probably only few.

All General Motors, innit?

DAS
---

[......]

Dori A Schmetterling October 26th 04 06:15 PM

Peter A. Stavrakoglou October 26th 04 10:22 PM

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Correct, the Holden/Vauxhall is the Pontiac GTO, though I don't know how
> many changes are made in the tramsition, other than the location of the
> steering wheel. Probably only few.
>
> All General Motors, innit?
>
> DAS

The styling of the GTO doesn't strike anything in me. Haven't seen very
many on the road but perhaps the styling will grow on me. As for the 300C I
wonder what it was about the ride that the reviewers didn't like. I like
the ride of mine and with 9,000 miles on the odometer there are no squeeks
or anthing of the sort in the interior. This is one solid well-built car.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou October 26th 04 10:22 PM

Art October 26th 04 10:43 PM

You'll be happy to know that according to a news report I just heard it took
top honors for safety in new tests.

et...

Art October 26th 04 10:43 PM

James C. Reeves October 26th 04 10:45 PM

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" > wrote in message
et...
| "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
| > Correct, the Holden/Vauxhall is the Pontiac GTO, though I don't know how
| > many changes are made in the tramsition, other than the location of the
| > steering wheel. Probably only few.
| >
| > All General Motors, innit?
| >
| > DAS
|
| The styling of the GTO doesn't strike anything in me. Haven't seen very
| many on the road but perhaps the styling will grow on me. As for the 300C I
| wonder what it was about the ride that the reviewers didn't like. I like
| the ride of mine and with 9,000 miles on the odometer there are no squeeks
| or anthing of the sort in the interior. This is one solid well-built car.

The Pontiac GTO, the last I checked, is selling worse than their Pontiac Aztec
model.