AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   1986 A1 Rabbit Cabriolet Heatercore (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14906)

Lee December 30th 04 07:11 PM

1986 A1 Rabbit Cabriolet Heatercore

anyhave have a how to or suggestions to how to change the heathercore on a
86 cabriolet with ac.

thanks

-Lee

Woodchuck December 30th 04 09:18 PM

to do it correctly, one must remove the complete heaterbox assembly.

Woodchuck December 30th 04 09:18 PM

Lee December 30th 04 10:03 PM

any how-to out there with pictures?

-Lee

Lee December 30th 04 10:03 PM

Lee December 30th 04 10:24 PM

does this look about right?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1149945

-Lee

Lee December 30th 04 10:24 PM

does this look about right?

Tom's VR6 December 30th 04 11:14 PM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Lee wrote:

>does this look about right?
>
>http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1149945

Depends on what you call "right" but it looks right to me if you are
going to do the work yourself.

I assume the heater core leaks. Replacing a heater core right
(removing the box) on most cars would require a lot more hours of
work for a novice than one would think.

It is sad these things fail and are hard to replace. VWs seem less
prone to such failures than many cars. I wonder if a different
antifreeze would have made it last.

Tom's VR6 December 30th 04 11:14 PM

Woodchuck December 31st 04 02:26 AM

Except he used the "chopper" method! That kind of work done at the dealer
would get the tech fired! Chopping a hole in the side of the heater box
isn't the correct way to do the repair, but it's your car.