AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1989 chevy celebrity loses voltage while started and draind the battery (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=35563)

fitzs June 15th 05 06:35 PM

1989 chevy celebrity loses voltage while started and draind the battery

Hi,I need help with my car.Its a chevy cebrity.My question is.I bought a
new alternator and a new battery.I had the car running but while the car
is on the voltage drops?This my second alternator and battery and I still
have the same problem?

Bruce Chang June 15th 05 06:38 PM

"fitzs" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hi,I need help with my car.Its a chevy cebrity.My question is.I bought a
> new alternator and a new battery.I had the car running but while the car
> is on the voltage drops?This my second alternator and battery and I still
> have the same problem?

Sounds like the alternator and the battery aren't the problem. It does
sound like the alternator isn't charging but not because it's a bad
alternator but perhaps the wiring to the alternator is bad. What is the
voltage when the car is on?

fitzs June 16th 05 03:24 PM

the voltage was at 10 volts.When the car was on.Then it slowly went down to
a dead battery.

fitzs June 16th 05 03:34 PM

the voltage is at 10 volts when the car is on and slowly drops to a dead
battery.Could I run a wire from the alternator to the battery positive
terminal?

Bruce Chang June 16th 05 04:25 PM

"fitzs" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> the voltage is at 10 volts when the car is on and slowly drops to a dead
> battery.Could I run a wire from the alternator to the battery positive
> terminal?

sure. you should see if the alternator is putting out any voltage. If you
have a voltmeter, probe the alternator post for a voltage above 13 volts.

fitzs June 16th 05 11:55 PM

The alternator is fine.It reads 14.I brought the alternator to a garage and
it is fine.But when I tested the alternator on my car it reads nothing.The
battery reads 12.I begining to think it is the wires going to the
alternator.But how do I check those wire out or bypass them and to what.

[email protected] June 25th 05 04:12 AM

fitzs wrote:
> The alternator is fine.It reads 14.I brought the alternator to a garage and
> it is fine.But when I tested the alternator on my car it reads nothing.The
> battery reads 12.I begining to think it is the wires going to the
> alternator.But how do I check those wire out or bypass them and to what.

If you have a friendly local shop you can get them to use a non-contact
meter (i forget what its called) to check the alternator output.

It sounds like you might have a dead voltage regulator. (assuming
modern cars still have them)

you should be able to disconnect the wires at the battery (and possibly
the alternator ) and use a voltmeter to test the cables continuity.