AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2001 Concorde transmission problem? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28095)

micky March 25th 05 05:23 PM

2001 Concorde transmission problem?

Hi Everyone,

Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and the
magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this morning
when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try to go
backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000 and the
car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes of driving
the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car right away and
had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer works.

I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700, 732,
731, and 733.

Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by the
book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself or
should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.

Bill Putney March 26th 05 02:16 AM

micky wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and the
> magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this morning
> when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try to go
> backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000 and the
> car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes of driving
> the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car right away and
> had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer works.
>
> I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700, 732,
> 731, and 733.
>
> Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by the
> book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself or
> should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.

Do you have the part number (packaging) of the filter that you put in to
check for the application? I ask because I was warned a couple of years
ago on this ng that there are a couple of filters to fit trannies on
Chryslers (I'm careful never to call them "Chrysler transmissions") 8^)
that will seem to fit but will not work, and if you get sold the wrong
one, it might not be obvious 'til you try to drive it after buttoning it up.

Sure enough, a couple of years ago, when I did the filter and fluid on
my '99 Concorde, the Chrysler dealer had sold me the wrong filter - I
happened to notice when I fitted the filter up that the fit was darn
near perfect, **except** the nipple that mates with the tranny plumbing
was too short - i.e., didn't mate with the tranny plumbing. Fortunately
I noticed it (thanks to the warning I got here) and didn't put the pan
back on. I went to the auto parts store and bought the same brand of
filter (Saginaw, IIRC), but the correct one.

If the same thing happended to you, I'm thinking that the fluid is
having a hard time getting pulled from the pan thru the filter with a
poor connection like that. Not saying that that definitely is your
problem, but you never know.

(BTW - I posted essentially this same reply to your thread on DI.net)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

micky March 26th 05 03:31 AM

Bill, thank you very much. I will dig in the garbage in the morning and I'll
get that # for you. BTW- I got the filter from the dealer trying to avoid
exactly this sort of problem!

Bill Putney March 26th 05 04:21 AM

micky wrote:
> Bill, thank you very much. I will dig in the garbage in the morning and I'll
> get that # for you. BTW- I got the filter from the dealer trying to avoid
> exactly this sort of problem!
>

> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>
>>micky wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>>Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and the
>>>magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this
>>>morning when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try
>>>to go backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000
>>>and the car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes
>>>of driving the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car
>>>right away and had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer
>>>works.
>>>
>>>I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700,
>>>732, 731, and 733.
>>>
>>>Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by the
>>>book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself
>>>or should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.

>>Do you have the part number (packaging) of the filter that you put in to
>>check for the application? I ask because I was warned a couple of years
>>ago on this ng that there are a couple of filters to fit trannies on
>>Chryslers (I'm careful never to call them "Chrysler transmissions") 8^)
>>that will seem to fit but will not work, and if you get sold the wrong
>>one, it might not be obvious 'til you try to drive it after buttoning it
>>up.
>>
>>Sure enough, a couple of years ago, when I did the filter and fluid on my
>>'99 Concorde, the Chrysler dealer had sold me the wrong filter - I
>>happened to notice when I fitted the filter up that the fit was darn near
>>perfect, **except** the nipple that mates with the tranny plumbing was too
>>short - i.e., didn't mate with the tranny plumbing. Fortunately I noticed
>>it (thanks to the warning I got here) and didn't put the pan back on. I
>>went to the auto parts store and bought the same brand of filter (Saginaw,
>>IIRC), but the correct one.
>>
>>If the same thing happended to you, I'm thinking that the fluid is having
>>a hard time getting pulled from the pan thru the filter with a poor
>>connection like that. Not saying that that definitely is your problem,
>>but you never know.
>>
>>(BTW - I posted essentially this same reply to your thread on DI.net)

OK. (And BTW - It was the 300M Club you and I posted to on this, not
DI.net which I erroneously said earlier. Not that it matters.)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

mic canic March 26th 05 04:44 AM

is the fluid at the proper leval????

micky March 26th 05 05:01 AM

Yes Sir!

micky March 26th 05 05:12 AM

I think this problem is related to my question, front end creaking noise,
posted on 3/9! Here is a link to it,

Mysteriously, the noise is gone now! I am thinking that the oil change
accelerated the breakage of whatever was going to break in the first place.
Please advise. I surely appreciate your time. Thanks.

maxpower March 26th 05 10:59 AM

"micky" > wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and the
> magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this morning
> when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try to go
> backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000 and the
> car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes of driving
> the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car right away and
> had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer works.
>
> I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700,

732,
> 731, and 733.
>
> Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by the
> book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself or
> should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.

Just curious, did you do this trans service because the engine lite was
already on and was trying to correct a shifting problem? say maybe an input
speed sensor?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

micky March 26th 05 09:50 PM

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "micky" > wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and the
>> magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this
>> morning
>> when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try to go
>> backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000 and
>> the
>> car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes of
>> driving
>> the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car right away and
>> had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer works.
>>
>> I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700,

> 732,
>> 731, and 733.
>>
>> Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by the
>> book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself
>> or
>> should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.
>>

> Just curious, did you do this trans service because the engine lite was
> already on and was trying to correct a shifting problem? say maybe an
> input
> speed sensor?
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Hi Glenn,

Absolutely not! No Check engine light was on and no codes! I did the trans
service hoping that it will take care of the noise I mentioned in my post on
3/9 ...
Also, the car had almost 50,000 on it and I think service was due.
Thanks

maxpower March 26th 05 11:04 PM

"micky" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "micky" > wrote in message
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >> Last night I changed the trans oil and filter. I cleaned the pan and

the
> >> magnet and put 4 quarts of ATF +4. Everything went well until this
> >> morning
> >> when I tried to drive the car! When I put the car in gear and try to go
> >> backwards or forward the car does not move until the RPM hits 3000 and
> >> the
> >> car just jumps! I think it stays in first gear. After 5 minutes of
> >> driving
> >> the "yellow" check engine light came on. I stopped the car right away

and
> >> had it towed back to my house. By the way, the speedometer works.
> >>
> >> I used a generic code reader and I am getting the following codes; 700,

> > 732,
> >> 731, and 733.
> >>
> >> Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? I did everything by

the
> >> book! Please let me know if this is something I can take care of myself
> >> or
> >> should I just have it towed to the dealer? Thank you very much.
> >>

> > Just curious, did you do this trans service because the engine lite was
> > already on and was trying to correct a shifting problem? say maybe an
> > input
> > speed sensor?
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech
> >

> Hi Glenn,
>
> Absolutely not! No Check engine light was on and no codes! I did the trans
> service hoping that it will take care of the noise I mentioned in my post

on
> 3/9 ...
> Also, the car had almost 50,000 on it and I think service was due.
> Thanks

P0731 Improper Ratio for First Gear.
P0732 Improper Ratio for Second Gear.
P0733 Improper Ratio for Third Gear.

Not sure there, possibly an input speed sensor.