AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   97 Accord starting problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73002)

[email protected] August 23rd 06 07:47 PM

97 Accord starting problem

This feels like a solenoid or relay issue: Turn the key, you hear an
electrical click, but no starter motor. Turn the key off and on
several times, and eventually, the starter motor fires up, and goes.

Lights don't dim down as you might expect with a poor connection on the
battery; battery is almost new and fully charged. Ignition switch
replaced a few years ago as well.

Is there a common relay or solenoid issue with this vehicle? It has
about 90k miles, no other engine problems. Once started, runs fine.
Problem is more and more troublesome now, and it feels like it's just
about ready to stop starting for good.

Thanks,

eno

FunkyKev August 24th 06 09:29 AM

97 Accord starting problem

Assuming you never have what appears to be a low power/dead battery
situation...car turns over s-l-o-w-l-y...you might have the typical
MAIN RELAY failure...up inder your left toes under the dash. That is
to say: when it starts, it starts without a hitch like there never
was a problem. OR, all of a sudden you turn the key and...and NOTHING.
No apparent pattern, but hot weather plays a part to a point. An
easy DIY fix once you buy it from the dealer. Don't worry, the posts
will pile in after mine :-)

Kevin

[email protected] August 24th 06 07:44 PM

97 Accord starting problem

wrote:
> This feels like a solenoid or relay issue: Turn the key, you hear an
> electrical click, but no starter motor. Turn the key off and on
> several times, and eventually, the starter motor fires up, and goes.
>
> Lights don't dim down as you might expect with a poor connection on the
> battery; battery is almost new and fully charged. Ignition switch
> replaced a few years ago as well.
>
> Is there a common relay or solenoid issue with this vehicle? It has
> about 90k miles, no other engine problems. Once started, runs fine.
> Problem is more and more troublesome now, and it feels like it's just
> about ready to stop starting for good.
>
> Thanks,
>
> eno

Just fixed my 95 Integra, same problem. The contacts in the starter
solenoid are worn out. Need to remove starter and dissassemble solenoid
and clean or replace contacts. Not a big deal . Don't get a new
starter $$$$. I think the parts are about $25??
You can find parts and info he
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/
I have no business interest in the vendor, I found them by searching
for Honda starter parts. Yes it will soon not start and leave you
sittin {:>( DAMHIK
Cheers
Stevo