AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Will a Bug tow another Bug Long Distance? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58227)

Noice87 March 1st 06 01:17 AM

Will a Bug tow another Bug Long Distance?

The running Bug is a 1600 Super Beetle Will it tow another bug Long
Distance? The other bug has engine in it.

Thanks Steven

Speedy Jim March 1st 06 01:39 AM

Noice87 wrote:

> The running Bug is a 1600 Super Beetle Will it tow another bug Long
> Distance? The other bug has engine in it.
>
> Thanks Steven

Sure will.
You do need a suitable tow hitch mounted to the towing car.
These attach either to the frame horns or the rear tranny frame.

And lights, of course, and safety chains.

And realize that the car's brakes will barely stop
2 cars.

Overheating the engine is a real concern, so plan to keep the
speed down. Engine temp goes up very fast as speed increases.

And read the 2 towing stories on my web site . <bg>

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

[email protected] March 3rd 06 07:18 PM

Will a Bug tow another Bug Long Distance?

Be sure to have the second Bug in neutral while towing or it will burn
up the transaxle.
You ought to be using the highest octane gas available because of the
extra load on the engine.

KWW March 4th 06 12:38 AM

Will a Bug tow another Bug Long Distance?

Great and informative website!
--
KWW
'65 Beetle (Jenny the IOC)