AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fuel economy in car commercials (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27661)

Magnulus March 21st 05 04:43 PM

fuel economy in car commercials

I've noticed three times in the past week fuel economy has been mentioned
in a car commercial I have seen. It's interesting to watch because
normally I don't think fuel economy is mentioned at all.

The Toyota Prius car commercial didn't talk about actual fuel economy much
(other than a vague sense it was good), just a generalized feel-good "green
car" message with a haughty tone (even the bicycle and people weren't going
anywhere, right? And they are zero emissions (not counting the burrito, er,
emissions... oh, and that motorcycle gets over 55-65 mpg already), likely
appealing to a demographic that is less interested in dollars-and-cents
savings than a vague feeling of moral superiority; well-heeled liberals,
ex-hippies with money, and any wanting to look cool in a nerdy, eco-friendly
way (high-tech, gadgety efficiency the new horsepower?)

One time fuel economy was touted as a benefit briefly, among other
features. I forgot what it was- maybe a minivan?

The other time it was a Chevy/Ford commercial (again, my memory is fuzzy,
but it was an American car, I'm sure), and a little defensive. Some guy
talking about how "my friend's car gets 40-50 mpg... my car gets 30 mpg (on
the highway, no doubt)... but hey I have 140 horsepower". Sounds like a
panic ad. With rising gas prices, can't you just smell the fear?

Skip Elliott Bowman March 21st 05 05:18 PM

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've noticed three times in the past week fuel economy has been mentioned
> in a car commercial I have seen. It's interesting to watch because
> normally I don't think fuel economy is mentioned at all.
>
> The Toyota Prius car commercial didn't talk about actual fuel economy
> much
> (other than a vague sense it was good), just a generalized feel-good
> "green
> car" message with a haughty tone (even the bicycle and people weren't
> going
> anywhere, right? And they are zero emissions (not counting the burrito,
> er,
> emissions... oh, and that motorcycle gets over 55-65 mpg already), likely
> appealing to a demographic that is less interested in dollars-and-cents
> savings than a vague feeling of moral superiority; well-heeled liberals,
> ex-hippies with money, and any wanting to look cool in a nerdy,
> eco-friendly
> way (high-tech, gadgety efficiency the new horsepower?)
>
> One time fuel economy was touted as a benefit briefly, among other
> features. I forgot what it was- maybe a minivan?
>
> The other time it was a Chevy/Ford commercial (again, my memory is fuzzy,
> but it was an American car, I'm sure), and a little defensive. Some guy
> talking about how "my friend's car gets 40-50 mpg... my car gets 30 mpg
> (on
> the highway, no doubt)... but hey I have 140 horsepower". Sounds like a
> panic ad. With rising gas prices, can't you just smell the fear?

With the lack of comprehension of oil shortages and energy crises, people
don't mind paying $40+ to fill their tanks.

Bill 2 March 21st 05 08:39 PM

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've noticed three times in the past week fuel economy has been mentioned
> in a car commercial I have seen. It's interesting to watch because
> normally I don't think fuel economy is mentioned at all.
>
> The Toyota Prius car commercial didn't talk about actual fuel economy
> much
> (other than a vague sense it was good), just a generalized feel-good
> "green
> car" message with a haughty tone (even the bicycle and people weren't
> going
> anywhere, right? And they are zero emissions (not counting the burrito,
> er,
> emissions... oh, and that motorcycle gets over 55-65 mpg already), likely
> appealing to a demographic that is less interested in dollars-and-cents
> savings than a vague feeling of moral superiority; well-heeled liberals,
> ex-hippies with money, and any wanting to look cool in a nerdy,
> eco-friendly
> way (high-tech, gadgety efficiency the new horsepower?)

You're the one that wants a Prius.

The Office Jet March 21st 05 09:12 PM

I wonder how the sales of hyrbid cars have been affected over the past
year. Is there anyway to find out something like that?

fbloogyudsr March 21st 05 09:30 PM

"The Office Jet" > wrote
>I wonder how the sales of hyrbid cars have been affected over the past
> year. Is there anyway to find out something like that?

Toyota has increased production by about 50%:
http://www.newstarget.com/002148.html

There are many more models available now (6 at least)
than there were last year (2?)

Floyd

James C. Reeves March 22nd 05 12:16 AM

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "The Office Jet" > wrote
>>I wonder how the sales of hyrbid cars have been affected over the past
>> year. Is there anyway to find out something like that?

> Toyota has increased production by about 50%:
> http://www.newstarget.com/002148.html
>
> There are many more models available now (6 at least)
> than there were last year (2?)
>
> Floyd

And they can't make them fast enough. I know a couple of people that had to
wait several months for a Prius to come available

James C. Reeves March 22nd 05 12:17 AM

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've noticed three times in the past week fuel economy has been mentioned
> in a car commercial I have seen. It's interesting to watch because
> normally I don't think fuel economy is mentioned at all.
>
> The Toyota Prius car commercial didn't talk about actual fuel economy
> much
> (other than a vague sense it was good), just a generalized feel-good
> "green
> car" message with a haughty tone (even the bicycle and people weren't
> going
> anywhere, right? And they are zero emissions (not counting the burrito,
> er,
> emissions... oh, and that motorcycle gets over 55-65 mpg already), likely
> appealing to a demographic that is less interested in dollars-and-cents
> savings than a vague feeling of moral superiority; well-heeled liberals,
> ex-hippies with money, and any wanting to look cool in a nerdy,
> eco-friendly
> way (high-tech, gadgety efficiency the new horsepower?)
>
> One time fuel economy was touted as a benefit briefly, among other
> features. I forgot what it was- maybe a minivan?
>
> The other time it was a Chevy/Ford commercial (again, my memory is fuzzy,
> but it was an American car, I'm sure), and a little defensive. Some guy
> talking about how "my friend's car gets 40-50 mpg... my car gets 30 mpg
> (on
> the highway, no doubt)... but hey I have 140 horsepower". Sounds like a
> panic ad. With rising gas prices, can't you just smell the fear?

Back in the 1970's and early 1980's, all car commercials had the EPA mileage
rating showing on the screen at the end of he commercial...even the gas
guzzlers.

Magnulus March 22nd 05 01:55 AM

"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I wonder how the sales of hyrbid cars have been affected over the past
> year. Is there anyway to find out something like that?

Interest in hybrids goes up when gas prices go up, but that doesn't always
translate into sales. People, though, are now more interested in fuel
economy than horsepower, that has to be a record of some kind for recent
history. But in many cases they are choosing different engine options or
moving down to "midsize" SUV's. It's going to take higher gas prices to
really change peoples behavior. Hybrids will require much higher gas
prices to justify them to most people. There are conventional technologies
that will also offer large improvements in fuel economy for much less cost
to consumers.

Lloyd Parker March 22nd 05 01:22 PM

In article >,
"Magnulus" > wrote:

>"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> I agree that raising gas prices will change people's thinking. I'm
>> wondering if the increased gas prices over the last year or two have
>> translated into higher sales.
>>

> Yes, but it's not a 1-1 correlation. I can see with the Prius some
>people will just not like the car. I didn't care for the rear seat

headroom
>at all (or lack of it), and the controls and instruments were very
>unconventional. The engine/motor noises also don't always seem to
>correlate to any speed, which can take some getting used to. At 28,000
>dollars, it was also ridiculously overpriced. Gas will never be so
>expensive that buying a Prius at that price would be worth it.

How so? It has as much room as a Camry, sells for about Camry prices, gets
much better mileage, and qualifies for a gov't tax credit.

> The Honda Civic, especially the 2006 model, looks to be a better

bargain
>than a Prius. Sure, it doesn't have as high gas mileage but it also costs
>alot less. Some dealers are selling them with a discount too. And it
>actually looks and drives just like a regular car (except for the CVT- but

>found it "sounded" more like a regular car than the Prius). Rumor is in
>2006 it will have a regular 5 speed auto transmission and upgraded safety
>features as standard (side curtain airbags standard, possibly stability
>control), and also is said to have a fuel economy improvement as well. I
>have heard rumors that Honda is not satisfied with the CVT's, the

economies
>of scale are better for the regular auto transmissions, and actually a CVT
>is not necessarily more efficient (especially with engines with wider

power
>bands, and the fact that a CVT still has a torque converter).
>
> Volkswagens diesel sales in the US have also increased in the last

couple
>of years, even while their gas engine sales have not been great.

But diesels can't be sold in 6 states right now.

> Honda may
>come out with a diesel-engine Civic in a year or two in the US;

Doubtful. Honda buys diesel engines for its cars in Europe from GM, don't
they?

The Office Jet March 22nd 05 01:38 PM