AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Up the hill in a VW (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13603)

Bart Bervoets November 22nd 04 04:03 PM

Up the hill in a VW

How do you recommand going up a steep hill to minimize
engine strain?

Which speed/gear? (1600 twinport)

Bart Bervoets

Vw67lives November 23rd 04 03:04 AM

>How do you recommand going up a steep hill to minimize
>engine strain?
>
>Which speed/gear? (1600 twinport)

If you are going up a steep hill and your speed drops and you begin lugging the
engine,you downshift to the next lowest gear.Repeat this process and you may
find yourself in 1st gear going 5-10 mph if the hill is steep enough. There is
no set speed or gear as the variables are too great. If you do hit 1st gear
,there aren't many hills that will stop a VW-they engineered a very short 1st
gear to make up for the low power output. Fred67bug

Seth Graham November 23rd 04 06:44 PM

On 2004-11-23, Vw67lives > wrote:

> engine,you downshift to the next lowest gear.Repeat this process and you may
> find yourself in 1st gear going 5-10 mph if the hill is steep enough.

At that point, wouldn't you be more concerned about your car flipping
nose over tail for driving up a near vertical surface? ;)

On most highways going through mountain passes, I've never had to drop
below 3rd gear, even with a moderate amount of luggage/passengeres in
the car.

Even on the steepest streets in San Francisco I was able to cruise
around in second.. I'd be terrified if I encountered a hill that was
lugging me in second gear.