AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Windshield washer, Pontiac, 1985, Stationwagon, lining up two halves (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73096)

Heyjohn August 25th 06 01:47 AM

Windshield washer, Pontiac, 1985, Stationwagon, lining up two halves

I removed the front circuit board with the pump and the pump mechanism.
Now when I try to put the repaired piece back over the motor and back
plate I've got a real headache. The pinion that fits into the plastic
rotation wheel on the front, doesn't line up properly. I made sure I
didn't move any of the gearing on either, so what gives? Is there a
trick to it? (this is the old style that has the washer pump right on
the windshield wiper motor)

aarcuda69062 August 25th 06 02:11 AM

Windshield washer, Pontiac, 1985, Stationwagon, lining up two halves

In article
. com>,
"Heyjohn" > wrote:

> I removed the front circuit board with the pump and the pump mechanism.
> Now when I try to put the repaired piece back over the motor and back
> plate I've got a real headache. The pinion that fits into the plastic
> rotation wheel on the front, doesn't line up properly. I made sure I
> didn't move any of the gearing on either, so what gives? Is there a
> trick to it? (this is the old style that has the washer pump right on
> the windshield wiper motor)

Look at the plastic four lobe cam, one of the lobes will have a
hole in it, there is also a hole in the steel body of the pump
assembly, place a 1/8" drill bit thru both holes to lock
everything in place while you bolt the pump down to the wiper
motor. Remove the drill bit when you're done.

Heyjohn August 25th 06 02:45 AM

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article
> . com>,
> "Heyjohn" > wrote:
>
> > I removed the front circuit board with the pump and the pump mechanism.
> > Now when I try to put the repaired piece back over the motor and back
> > plate I've got a real headache. The pinion that fits into the plastic
> > rotation wheel on the front, doesn't line up properly. I made sure I
> > didn't move any of the gearing on either, so what gives? Is there a
> > trick to it? (this is the old style that has the washer pump right on
> > the windshield wiper motor)

> Look at the plastic four lobe cam, one of the lobes will have a
> hole in it, there is also a hole in the steel body of the pump
> assembly, place a 1/8" drill bit thru both holes to lock
> everything in place while you bolt the pump down to the wiper
> motor. Remove the drill bit when you're done.

Thanks, I'll 'give it a shot' in the morning.

Heyjohn August 28th 06 02:19 AM

aarcuda69062 wrote:

> Look at the plastic four lobe cam, one of the lobes will have a
> hole in it, there is also a hole in the steel body of the pump
> assembly, place a 1/8" drill bit thru both holes to lock
> everything in place while you bolt the pump down to the wiper
> motor. Remove the drill bit when you're done.

Did as you instructed. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Heyjohn August 29th 06 03:08 AM

aarcuda69062 wrote:

> Look at the plastic four lobe cam, one of the lobes will have a
> hole in it, there is also a hole in the steel body of the pump
> assembly, place a 1/8" drill bit thru both holes to lock
> everything in place while you bolt the pump down to the wiper
> motor. Remove the drill bit when you're done.

Okay, it went back together and the wipers work but an annoying
problem that wasn't there before came up. In intermitant mode
the wipers don't pause at the bottom of the windshield now, they
pause half way across. Could I have still missed the pinion getting
put in the cam anyway? Or is this another issue?

aarcuda69062 August 29th 06 05:36 AM

"Heyjohn" > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 wrote:
>
> > Look at the plastic four lobe cam, one of the lobes will have a
> > hole in it, there is also a hole in the steel body of the pump
> > assembly, place a 1/8" drill bit thru both holes to lock
> > everything in place while you bolt the pump down to the wiper
> > motor. Remove the drill bit when you're done.

> Okay, it went back together and the wipers work but an annoying
> problem that wasn't there before came up. In intermitant mode
> the wipers don't pause at the bottom of the windshield now, they
> pause half way across. Could I have still missed the pinion getting
> put in the cam anyway? Or is this another issue?

Was the wiper motor in the park position when you re-installed
the pump?
Did you have the crank arm off of the drive end of the motor and
re-installed 180* off?

Heyjohn August 29th 06 11:41 AM

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> Was the wiper motor in the park position when you re-installed
> the pump?
> Did you have the crank arm off of the drive end of the motor and
> re-installed 180* off?

Yes. I took the front section (pump, circuit board) off with the
wiper motor in the park position and didn't turn on the wipers
until I reinstalled it again.
No. I didn't take the crank arm off.
Is it possible that the pinion is not meshed in the cam in the
right spot? The wipers work fine in all modes except intermitent.
Intermitent works, but the wipers pause in the wrong place on
the winshield.
There is a cam activated electrical switch. But I don't know
what the switch is for. It could have gotten bent? It's a long
piece of thin metal that flexes by a lobe point on the cam.