AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   4.0 main bearing bolt size question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72148)

[email protected] August 12th 06 06:12 PM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

Hi all

I am trying to change the rear main seal in my 1997 4.0 Jeep Grand
Cherokee. I have been pretty much over my head in the whole project.

In trying to remove the main cap, my 13/16 socket seems too big, and my
20mm socket won't fit on the main bearing bolt.

Does anyone know what size these are? At first, I thought the 20mm
socket just needed to be deeper so I just got back from the store with
a deep socket and it doesn't fit on either.

I do not have a factory manual.

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Jo Bo August 12th 06 06:30 PM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

You could measure across the flats. It's a SEA (inch) engine. The next
smaller from 13/16 is a 3/4"

JoBo

ps.com...

reconair August 12th 06 07:13 PM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

I don't think you have to remove the main bearing cap. I've replaced the
rear main seal in my 91 YJ and never had to remove the bearing cap. I don't
think the GCs are much different in that respect.

Scott
ps.com...

Mike Romain August 12th 06 07:13 PM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

I really hope it wasn't just your valve cover leaking down the back
imitating a bad seal. You can tell by running a clean rag across the
back of the head. If it comes out wet with oil....

My main's use a 13/16 wrench. It has a 'slight' amount of play when
fitted.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Mike Romain August 12th 06 07:48 PM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

That would be a trick I would like to see.....

The seal is fitted 'under' the rear main bearing cap in 2 halves....

Mike

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 13th 06 12:42 AM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

No idea, probably the reason I own twenty thousand dollars in
tools: http://www.neow.org/rms1.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_] August 13th 06 12:45 AM

4.0 main bearing bolt size question

He's got it tangled up with Japanese engines, which are nothing
more that glorified motorcycles
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

reconair August 13th 06 11:03 AM