AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New six cylinder engines have no dipstick (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33426)

John Burns May 23rd 05 10:11 AM

New six cylinder engines have no dipstick

OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).

What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

JB May 23rd 05 11:58 AM

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
> sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
> MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
> either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).
>
> What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
> about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
> mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.

It's only a matter of time until you'll get a sealed-for-life engine in BMWs
I reckon. It's alomost possible even now; the Northstar V8 for instance.)
I'd still prefer to replace the fluids on a regular basis whether the
manufacturer's service data said I needed to or not.
JB

Badger May 23rd 05 12:24 PM

"JB" > wrote in message

> "John Burns" > wrote in message
>> OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
>> sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
>> MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
>> either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).
>>
>> What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
>> about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
>> mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.
>>

> It's only a matter of time until you'll get a sealed-for-life engine in
> BMWs
> I reckon. It's alomost possible even now; the Northstar V8 for instance.)
> I'd still prefer to replace the fluids on a regular basis whether the
> manufacturer's service data said I needed to or not.
> JB

And even in the late 70's, some (normally older) people still believed that
they had to remove their heads and carry out a decoke every 30,000miles and
rebore at 60,000!!
Like any other technological advancement before, it would take quite some
time to be accepted by the majority of the population, with a small % never
ever accepting it. (Look where we are now as regards people not wanting to
accept the ability of a modern synthetic longlife oil to work for 13,000
miles, wasting money by changing it at 7000ish)
Badger.

Malt_Hound May 23rd 05 02:18 PM

Badger wrote:
> "JB" > wrote in message
>
>>"John Burns" > wrote in message
>>
>>>OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
>>>sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
>>>MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
>>>either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).
>>>
>>>What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
>>>about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
>>>mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.
>>>

>>It's only a matter of time until you'll get a sealed-for-life engine in
>>BMWs
>>I reckon. It's alomost possible even now; the Northstar V8 for instance.)
>>I'd still prefer to replace the fluids on a regular basis whether the
>>manufacturer's service data said I needed to or not.
>>JB
>>

> And even in the late 70's, some (normally older) people still believed that
> they had to remove their heads and carry out a decoke every 30,000miles and
> rebore at 60,000!!
> Like any other technological advancement before, it would take quite some
> time to be accepted by the majority of the population, with a small % never
> ever accepting it. (Look where we are now as regards people not wanting to
> accept the ability of a modern synthetic longlife oil to work for 13,000
> miles, wasting money by changing it at 7000ish)
> Badger.

Perhaps, but somehow going from a linear mechanical display of oil level
(aka dipstick) to a binary indication (idiot light) does not seem like
progress to me...

Perhaps if they provided and "oil level indicator" in the check control
or something that told me how low the oil was, not just when it was too
low? I can't believe that would be all that expensive and it sure would
be cool...

-Fred W

TonyK May 23rd 05 03:14 PM

"John Burns" > wrote in message
> OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
> sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
> MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
> either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).
>
> What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
> about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
> mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
> Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html

I'm guessing its like the CSL with a "digital dipstick" on the OBC which
shows the level to .1l (I think).

John Burns May 23rd 05 05:23 PM

> I'm guessing its like the CSL with a "digital dipstick" on the OBC which
> shows the level to .1l (I think).

That I can live with. Until it breaks (seen loads of 15+ year old BMWs
with faulty oil level idiot lights). Dipsticks tend not to break, and I
imagine they're cheaper.

Dave Plowman (News) May 23rd 05 07:35 PM

In article >,
John Burns > wrote:
> OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
> sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
> MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
> either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).

> What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
> about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
> mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.

Both my E39 528 at 80,000 miles and my 150,000 mile ancient Rover SD1 with
the Buick V-8 will run to oil change time without needing topping up.
However, as with all my cars, I drive them gently until fully warm.

But both have low oil level warning systems anyway.

I'm happy to see the dipstick go. When last did you dip your fuel tank to
know the level? ;-)

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] May 23rd 05 08:51 PM

> Dipsticks tend not to break, and I imagine they're cheaper.

Which of these benefits BMW and/or its repair facilities?

Jon Blake May 23rd 05 11:09 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

<<< SNIP >>>
> However, as with all my cars, I drive them gently until fully warm.
>
> But both have low oil level warning systems anyway.
>
> I'm happy to see the dipstick go. When last did you dip your fuel tank to
> know the level? ;-)

<<< SNIP >>>

I think this is a flawed analogy. If you run out of gas because of a
faulty gauge/warning light, your engine will stop, perhaps inconveniently,
and you will undoubtedly stress your fuel pump. If your oil sensor fails,
your engine can fail, a much worse situation. Call me old fashion, but I
just can't see not having a way to physically check oil levels.

- Jon

daytripper May 23rd 05 11:22 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:35:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> John Burns > wrote:
>> OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new
>> sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or
>> MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
>> either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).

>> What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm
>> about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top
>> mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.

>Both my E39 528 at 80,000 miles and my 150,000 mile ancient Rover SD1 with
>the Buick V-8 will run to oil change time without needing topping up.
> However, as with all my cars, I drive them gently until fully warm.
>
>But both have low oil level warning systems anyway.
>
>I'm happy to see the dipstick go. When last did you dip your fuel tank to
>know the level? ;-)

Cute but lame.

So, does this device show the inevitable post-service over-filled condition?

No?