AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are You Ready For Diesel Yet? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38301)

[email protected] July 15th 05 10:33 PM

Are You Ready For Diesel Yet?

Is the gas price high enough for you guys, or can you stand more
before you decide to get right with Mr. Compression Ignition?

DougW July 15th 05 11:02 PM

calcerise did pass the time by typing:
> Is the gas price high enough for you guys, or can you stand more
> before you decide to get right with Mr. Compression Ignition?

I'd rather use Mr. Turbine. It can burn anthing short of sodapop
and sounds real cool

whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee screech!
vroom vroom
beep!
.....WHoooooooooooooooooooosh!....

--
DougW

J Strickland July 15th 05 11:04 PM

Diesel is high too, and it stinks.

oups.com...

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III July 15th 05 11:06 PM

Diesel has been selling higher priced than regular for at least ten
years here in San Diego:
http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/ind...s&tme_limit=60
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

BillyRay July 15th 05 11:15 PM

Gasoline is down 7 cents/gallon from last night.

Another drawback to buying an 'optional' diesel is the option surcharge is
expensive to the point that the payback is too long. Now, I don't claim to
know the actual cost difference but I am sure it is much less than the
"option" rate.

Another is fuel cost. 'Back in the day' diesel fuel was half the price of
regular gasoline. Now it more expensive than premium.

oups.com...

Coasty July 15th 05 11:26 PM

Chrysler did have a turbine back in the early 60s but since the engine was
made in Italy the American public never bought into it also Congress had
something to do with squashing it.

--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply

Coasty July 15th 05 11:31 PM

Most places diesel is higher, the only way to get a cheaper price is to use
home heating fuel, which is illegal (only if you get caught) A lot of the
farmers use their farm fuel in their trucks here which is a lot cheaper too.

--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply

[email protected] July 15th 05 11:33 PM

Wrongasaurus....as usual. The BODIES of the Chrysler Turbine (loaner
test) cars were made in Italy...as were Dual-Ghias and most of the
Chrysler professional car (limo, hearse, etc.) line. The engines were
made in Warren, Michigan by the same people who now make Cruise Missile
engines at Walled Lake, MI.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1733152

Coasty July 15th 05 11:42 PM

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine.html
--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply
oups.com...

[email protected] July 15th 05 11:47 PM

Coasty wrote:
> Most places diesel is higher, the only way to get a cheaper price is to use
> home heating fuel, which is illegal (only if you get caught) A lot of the
> farmers use their farm fuel in their trucks here which is a lot cheaper too.

Home heating oil MAY OR MAY NOT meet diesel specs for sulfur,
contaminants and cetane. I would never burn it in a common rail engine
but in a Bosch pump engine I might-if the delta in fuel prices would
pay for a rebuilt pump and injectors in a reasonable amount of time.
And I would certainly install a better than stock fuel filter and a
gascolator at the low point in the system.

Certain diesels will burn an amazing number of odd and foul oils if
they are free of water and particulates. You cannot filter water-you
must separate it via gravity. There are dyes that dye water but not oil
(or vice versa) and you can put your fuel in a tank, the dye, and more
water, then agitate and let sit and drain either all the colored fluid
or all the clear.