AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   86 A1 Cabriolet Idel Problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14870)

Lee December 27th 04 06:56 AM

86 A1 Cabriolet Idel Problem

Got a 86 Cabriolet, by passed the Heater core , now the car only idles at
3000 rpm.. any suggestions? did I bump anything?

-Lee

Lee December 27th 04 10:41 PM

How do you adjust the idel on this sucker?
anyone have any pics or how-to?

-Lee

Lee December 27th 04 10:41 PM

Lee December 28th 04 12:58 AM

Looks like when I squeeze the hose connected to the Auxiliary Air Valve the
Idle goes back where it should... so is this a bad Auxiliary Air Valve?

-Lee

Lee December 28th 04 12:58 AM

sehaare December 28th 04 05:47 AM

To try and answer all of your post.

The Idle is adjusted by a bolt on the BACK of the throttle-body. When you
back the bolt out it lets more air by-pass the throttle-body and Idle goes
up.

The Auxiliary Air Valve also by-passes the throttle-body when the car is
cold it should be wide open as the car heats up it closes. It should behave
as you describe when cold if you still get the idle to drop by squeezing
when the car is hot...congrats you have found your problem.

When you bypassed the heater core did you maintain coolant flow by the temp
sensor on the heater hose? When the engine is cold the sensor disconnects
the O2 sensor and the result is a richer fuel mixture when the coolant heats
up the temp sensor put the O2 sensor into the CIS computer circuit and the
O2 sensor with the computer controls the fuel mixture.

HTH
Steve

sehaare December 28th 04 05:47 AM

Lee December 28th 04 05:31 PM

Hello and thanks for reading. What my friend did was cut the house at the
Firewall then looped it back in the motor. I think it's. How ever where it
loops back it's a little kink in it so I don't think the fluid is
circulating back into the engine. My freind seems to think it does not
matter since there is no heather core at this point? could be wrong tho... I
will crimp that house today when the car is hot and see if that is still
happing. it's not having any heating problems so do you think i should get
more hose and complete the loop without any kinks?

-Lee

Lee December 28th 04 05:31 PM

sehaare December 28th 04 09:17 PM

Normally when the hot water leaves the engine it flow past the temp sensor
and then on through the system. The temp sensor is located in a section of
heater hose on the drivers side between the engine and the firewall. It is a
two wire temp switch that is either open or closed. Located the sensor and
the next time you have the problem pull the electrical plug which will open
the circuit then short between the two leads on the plug which will close
the circuit. This will check to see if it has any affect on the idle.

HTH
Steve