AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gas Tank Repair (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7803)

[email protected] January 2nd 05 05:27 AM

Gas Tank Repair

I have a 74 Kawasaki Z1 that the gas tank is rusting on the inside. I
noticed this when winterizing it this year. I usually fill it up to
the top and add the proper amount of Stable, but seeing the rust this
year I took the tank off and drained it completely. Does anybody have
any suggestions on how to treat this tank? Dave

Bob Paulin January 2nd 05 03:04 PM

wrote in article
> I have a 74 Kawasaki Z1 that the gas tank is rusting on the inside. I
> noticed this when winterizing it this year. I usually fill it up to
> the top and add the proper amount of Stable, but seeing the rust this
> year I took the tank off and drained it completely. Does anybody have
> any suggestions on how to treat this tank? Dave

If it is rusting through from the inside, I would treat the tank to a
well-deserved retirement.

If it is only showing surface rust on the inside, there are a number of
coatings that can be applied. Check out some of the antique car and
motorcycle forums.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Lee Ayrton January 2nd 05 07:24 PM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 wrote:

> I have a 74 Kawasaki Z1 that the gas tank is rusting on the inside. I
> noticed this when winterizing it this year. I usually fill it up to
> the top and add the proper amount of Stable, but seeing the rust this
> year I took the tank off and drained it completely. Does anybody have
> any suggestions on how to treat this tank? Dave

I used the _Kreem gas tank_ (<--Google search term) kit on my `76 Honda
CB360T a few years ago and it seems to have held up well. You should be
able to get the kit at a motorcycle accessory shop that caters to
rebuilders (the only shop local to me that had it on the shelf was a HD
aftermarket shop). You must follow the direction exactly -- no shortcuts
-- and be prepared to handle noxous chemicals with dire health warnings on
their labels. The project will generate some waste products (MEK ketone)
so, depending on where you live, you might want to plan on disposal before
you start.

Hmmm. Google informs me that POR-15 also makes a gas tank liner kit. The
product description makes it sound less odeous than the Kreem kit, and POR
has a very good rep (at least with the early Jeep set). You might look
into that.

--
Thank ghod it's Them instead of You.