AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   93 caprice classic temp guage not working (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=35458)

[email protected] June 14th 05 06:27 PM

93 caprice classic temp guage not working

Can anyone plese tell me where the sensor for this guage is located?
Also am I correct in assuming that if I pull the plug from it and short
the the two terminals the guage should peg. And if it does then that
would suggest a bad sensor? Anyway what would be a good procedure to
test this circuit. I have no wiring diagram for the guage circuit.
Thanks, Lenny Stein

Shep June 14th 05 09:52 PM

There should be 2 sensors, one is 2 wire that is for the pcm, the other
should be 1 wire that is for the dash gage, problem is I don't know exactly
where they are on your engine.
oups.com...

big jon June 15th 05 03:40 AM

wHERE HAVE YOU LOOKED

[email protected] July 8th 05 01:58 AM

Well I think that I found the sensor. It is in the head on the front
left (drivers) side of the engine. The only weird thing is that the
book shows a single wire going from the temp guage to the sensor which
is then screwed into (grounded) to the engine. My car has two green
wires going to the sensor. A number of mechanics have looked at this
sensor and have said that this has to be the temperature sensor but no
one knows why the two wires? The sensor is just a temperature sensitive
resistor that is in series with the guage which has 12V going to the
other side of it. According to the Alldata diagram we pulled the guage
is mearly a voltmeter really. So there should only be one wire going to
it. Thanks, Lenny

sdlomi2 July 8th 05 02:42 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well I think that I found the sensor. It is in the head on the front
> left (drivers) side of the engine. The only weird thing is that the
> book shows a single wire going from the temp guage to the sensor which
> is then screwed into (grounded) to the engine. My car has two green
> wires going to the sensor. A number of mechanics have looked at this
> sensor and have said that this has to be the temperature sensor but no
> one knows why the two wires? The sensor is just a temperature sensitive
> resistor that is in series with the guage which has 12V going to the
> other side of it. According to the Alldata diagram we pulled the guage
> is mearly a voltmeter really. So there should only be one wire going to
> it. Thanks, Lenny

This is just an intuitive guess: maybe the second wire is a safety
override to engage the cooling fan(s) when the temp. reaches a dangerous
level? s

[email protected] July 9th 05 12:20 AM

You may be thinkng about the LT1 engine as used in the 94's. There is
only the one fan on this engine and it is belt driven conventionally
off the water pump. Lenny