AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Escort LX Mileage (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69746)

[email protected] July 15th 06 01:29 AM

Escort LX Mileage

About how many miles could you expect to get out of a Ford Escort LX
engine before needing an overhaul? Looking at a 1996 with 191k, asking
price $900.

Doug

[email protected] July 15th 06 01:33 AM

Escort LX Mileage

wrote:
> About how many miles could you expect to get out of a Ford Escort LX
> engine before needing an overhaul? Looking at a 1996 with 191k, asking
> price $900.
>
> Doug

Also: Owner says that 191k is mostly highway miles (used the car to
commute).

sdlomi2[_1_] July 16th 06 01:06 AM

Escort LX Mileage

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> About how many miles could you expect to get out of a Ford Escort LX
>> engine before needing an overhaul? Looking at a 1996 with 191k, asking
>> price $900.
>>
>> Doug

> Also: Owner says that 191k is mostly highway miles (used the car to
> commute).

I'm guessing that is about 115,000 miles. If that is correct, I'd
personally think it has already served its useful life. They are not
typically known as a high-mileage producer! I sold used cars for decades.
Refused to sell Escorts with much over 30,000 miles--actually tried to avoid
selling them at all. Odds just weren't in the buyers' favor. s

Steve B. July 16th 06 03:21 AM

Escort LX Mileage

On 15 Jul 2006 19:05:01 -0700, wrote:

>I would be happy to get a year or two out of it, for the price. I
>don't know where you get 115k from, I said miles not kilometers.
>
>Doug

Any used car is a crap shoot at that kind of mileage, but for the
money I dont see how you could go wrong... If you get two months out
of it and have to send it to the junk yard you would be ahead of the
game compared to new car prices.

Steve B.

sdlomi2[_1_] July 16th 06 04:22 AM

Escort LX Mileage

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> sdlomi2 wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > Also: Owner says that 191k is mostly highway miles (used the car to
>> > commute).

> I would be happy to get a year or two out of it, for the price. I
> don't know where you get 115k from, I said miles not kilometers.
>
> Doug

Sorry, Doug, my bad. I focused on your earlier sentence distance
where you said, "Looking at a 1996 with 191k, asking
price $900." I had erroneously assumed from this sentence that 191k was
191km--again sorry for my error.(Where I got 115,000 miles from was using a
ratio of 1km =approx. 0.6 mile: thus, 191km X 0.6m/km= approx.115,000
miles.)
However, this yet higher miles of 191,000 makes me even more skeptical
about the remaining life in that engine. Sorry I could not be more
positive, but this is MHO. s