AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   symptoms of xfer case seal leakage? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=70574)

pehoffer July 24th 06 01:39 PM

symptoms of xfer case seal leakage?

I have a 99 EB Explorer. At the front of the xfer case, there's ATF
sprayed up on the underside of the body, and there's some that drips
off the case itself. It doesn't leak on the ground when parked, but
after I drive it I see the fluid sprayed up under. I pulled off the
vent tube and I can blow into the xfer case and back into the
transmission with the car off. So is this just a bad front seal in the
xfer case, or is there something I'm missing? Why doesn't it leak when
parked? Why does it spray up on the undercarriage?

The case has to be removed to replace the seal (BW4405) so I want to
make sure before I spend the money. They say the case doesn't have to
be split, but I can't see how else you could replace the seal because
the snap ring to remove the front output shaft appears to be inside the
case.