AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   K-frame mounts (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37192)

Cal July 3rd 05 05:04 AM

K-frame mounts

Hi!

I apologize up front for this!! This is not a jeep question, but a dodge
question. You guys have been very helpful in the past with jeep
problems....
In addition to 2 jeeps, I also have a '96 intrepid. It seems the k-frame
mounts are giving up again. I paid the dealership a lot to replace them
several years ago, but it seems I have had a return of the same grinding
noise when steering, plus I just looked at some material coming out of one
of the mounts. Are they hard to replace? Are there any good resources
online? Any special tools required? I understand the use of rubber to
deaden sound/vibrations etc, but when it starts giving up..sure is
aggravating.

thanks

cal

Stephen Cowell July 6th 05 01:48 AM

"Cal" > wrote in message =
om...
> Hi!
>=20
> I apologize up front for this!! This is not a jeep question, but a =

dodge=20
> question. You guys have been very helpful in the past with jeep=20
> problems....
> In addition to 2 jeeps, I also have a '96 intrepid. It seems the =

k-frame=20
> mounts are giving up again. I paid the dealership a lot to replace =

them=20
> several years ago, but it seems I have had a return of the same =

grinding=20
> noise when steering, plus I just looked at some material coming out of =

one=20
> of the mounts. Are they hard to replace? Are there any good =

resources=20
> online? Any special tools required? I understand the use of rubber =

to=20
> deaden sound/vibrations etc, but when it starts giving up..sure is=20
> aggravating.

I'd go for a harder durometer... see if PST can
help...

http://www.p-s-t.com/

They make stuff out of PolyGraphite.

I'd certainly get a book on the vehicle I was
considering working on... I've replaced the
front klip on a Taurus before, but you need
to know what can remain connected, and
what needs to be loosened. Generally, you
can take the exhaust loose, remove the
bolts holding the rack-and-pinion, then support
the frame from the rear, remove the bolts,
and lower it enough to get access to the
rubber pancakes. If you don't have at
least a good floor jack and some stands,
forget it... use a book!
__
Steve
..

Cal July 6th 05 02:56 AM

Thanks for the reply!! I have the haynes manual, but unfortunately, it
doesn't discuss this. I wish I had the service manual!

cal

"Stephen Cowell" > wrote in message
. ..

om...