AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sonoma won't start (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28337)

Bill March 27th 05 09:11 PM

Sonoma won't start

This is a 2000 Sonoma with Vortec 4300 V6 SFI engine and 70K miles.
Truck runs well, doesn't miss or choke at any speed.
The problem is, once in a while it won't start. It cranks strongly and will
fire when key is released from start position, but not enough to stay
running.
Sounds electrical doesn't it?
It has new battery.
Even when jumped to another vehicle it acts the same.

When amp guage reads 14 volts will not fire at all.
After extended cranking it will start to fire on maybe one cylinder but will
not catch.
Watching the amp guage when cranking, the engine will start to fire at 12
volts and will continue to fire on maybe one cylinder when cranking.

I have primed the carb thinking it wasn't getting fuel, no change.
If it was fuel related I would expect the engine to catch and run until the
prime was burned, no such luck.

Once the engine starts, you can turn it off and it will restart normally.

I have Googled this trouble and read of similar troubles having to do with
fuel pumps and EGR valves and igition module.
None of the other posts indicate that the engine starts with extended
cranking as mine does.

Bill

ed March 28th 05 05:13 PM

sure sounds like fuel pressure to me. have you checked it while running,
then see if it holds it when the engine is turned off?

Bill March 30th 05 02:46 AM

Ed,
Thanks for the response.
It turned out to be the fuel filter
I would not have suspected the filter since it ran well once started.
But we learn something every day...............

Thanks again,
Bill

ed March 30th 05 03:45 PM

Glad your fixed up.
I had a fuel filter problem once that let the vehicle run fine so long as
the gas tank was over half full.
The more the gas went down I guess the less fuel flow would occur through
the obstructed filter. The thing ran awful the lower the fuel level went.

talk about crazy...

p.s. it was a carbuerated vehicle and was a litle more forgiving.