AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69175)

[email protected] July 7th 06 03:23 PM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

Hi All,

How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
found some check engine code readers/erasers on EBay here
http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

Has anyone tried similar one?

Thanks,

Bill Hall July 7th 06 06:40 PM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

Easiest way is to find the problem that is causing the light to come on.
Next fix the problem. The light will take care of itself!
Bill
oups.com...

JT July 8th 06 01:55 AM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

:)

Happy Traveler July 8th 06 07:13 AM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

In most, if not all states that require emissions inspection, turning the
CEL off won't help you. The reason is that the moment you do that, something
called a 'monitor' in the computer changes status to 'not ready'. It becomes
'ready' again when the vehicle has been through a driving cycle, which
requires a mix of city and highway driving etc. Assuming that the problem
which caused the CEL to turn on in the first place did not somehow
miraculously cure itself, by the time the monitor is ready, the CEL will be
on again. Sorry to rain on your parade -- you really need to fix the
vehicle. And when you do, please pat yourself on the shoulder for doing your
part to keep this earth green.

oups.com...

Carlton Duke July 10th 06 03:36 AM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

In article >,
"Happy Traveler" > wrote:

> In most, if not all states that require emissions inspection, turning the
> CEL off won't help you. The reason is that the moment you do that, something
> called a 'monitor' in the computer changes status to 'not ready'. It becomes
> 'ready' again when the vehicle has been through a driving cycle, which
> requires a mix of city and highway driving etc. Assuming that the problem
> which caused the CEL to turn on in the first place did not somehow
> miraculously cure itself, by the time the monitor is ready, the CEL will be
> on again. Sorry to rain on your parade -- you really need to fix the
> vehicle. And when you do, please pat yourself on the shoulder for doing your
> part to keep this earth green.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
> > with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
> > found some check engine code readers/erasers on EBay here
> > http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

The problem with your statement "fix your vehicle" is that very often
the vehicle meets emissions criteria with the check engine light on. I
have had this happen to me on two different vehicles--a '97 V8 Explorer
and a 2000 Avalon. Using the car's computer to give the answer instead
of doing a true emissions test is bad politics.

Cedartown Electronics July 12th 06 03:05 PM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

Go to either AutoZone or Advance Auto and ask them to do a free read on your
vehicle.( I always tip the guy something) Then ask for the code and
problem, post it here and someone smarter than myself can help!
/Richard

oups.com...

Green mark July 14th 06 10:35 PM

Check engine light or OBD2 reader eraser

you smoke that green !!!!!!!