AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=63208)

Stupendous Man April 23rd 06 07:08 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

I am considering buying a 1990-2000 Cherokee or Grand Waggy for my wife
(who hates snow), and keeping it stock.
What kind of mileage are those of you who own these rigs getting?
--
Stupendous Man,

Mike Romain April 23rd 06 08:11 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

Our 88 5 speed gets 25 or more mpg on the highway with about 10 less in
our city driving. Short trips.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

bowgus April 23rd 06 08:44 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

For what it's worth ... winter mileage (4wd in snow, slush ... cold
weather driving) is about 80% summer mileage (2wd) going by km on the
odometer at fillups ... 450km or so winter vs 550-600km summer. 4.0L
HO, 4 spd auto, command-trac. So if my summer is 10-11 litres/100km,
winter is ... getting expensive :-) But it's worth it for me (tows my
boat in summer ... don't ask about the mileage the boat gets) and no
way will I go back to 2wd up here in winter ... and the 4.0L uses
regular ... so there's a 10-30% cost bonus.

Lon April 23rd 06 08:58 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

> I am considering buying a 1990-2000 Cherokee or Grand Waggy for my wife
> (who hates snow), and keeping it stock.
> What kind of mileage are those of you who own these rigs getting?

Around town, about 14-18. Flat freeway keeping it under 70, about
21-22. Really hilly freeway and/or running at 75+ gets 19-20. Stock I6
except for cat back, synth blend oil, and michelins.

Stupendous Man April 23rd 06 08:59 PM

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Our 88 5 speed gets 25 or more mpg on the highway with about 10 less in
> our city driving. Short trips.

Carbureted?

Mike Romain April 23rd 06 09:23 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

Nope, 4.0 Renix MPFI engine that AMC set up.

It runs very nice, just the body is falling off the wheels at about a
chunk per mile.... I am going to swap some stuff over to a 'new' 87 4
door with the same engine/tranny combo I just picked up that still has
floorboards even... ;-)

Mike

noneyabusiness April 23rd 06 11:20 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:08:15 -0700, "Stupendous Man" >
wrote:

>I am considering buying a 1990-2000 Cherokee or Grand Waggy for my wife
>(who hates snow), and keeping it stock.
>What kind of mileage are those of you who own these rigs getting?

95 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, Part Time 4WD, Auto.
235/75R15 Wrangler RT/S tires.
*Lead foot.*

Combined street/freeway: 12-14MPG
(Sometimes almost 15MPG if I really baby the pedal)

ONE time, on a 200+ mile trip (mostly freeway): 19MPG

HTH

Danny April 25th 06 10:51 AM

noneyabusiness wrote:

> 95 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, Part Time 4WD, Auto.
> 235/75R15 Wrangler RT/S tires.
> *Lead foot.*
>
> Combined street/freeway: 12-14MPG
> (Sometimes almost 15MPG if I really baby the pedal)
>
> ONE time, on a 200+ mile trip (mostly freeway): 19MPG

Wow, that makes me feel better. My '97 Cherokee 4.0L gets over 13mpg
towing a large (over 2 ton) trailer (that has the aerodynamics of a
big brick, since it's a box, 12' x 8') and between 19-22 without the
trailer on a run.

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Stupendous Man April 25th 06 07:01 PM

Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

Thanks guys.
I have an 80 Dtasun 4x4 pickup i got for free, and it's rusting and burns
oil, won't smog so i cant sell it, but live in a no-smog county so i can
drive it. It is a terrible offroader (IFS), and the cab is too small for me.
This is my Wifes snow car now, but I found out the State of California will
pay me $1000 for it if it fails smog so I guess that's about half of what a
XJ will cost, and get about the same mileage. I have a trailer with a toyota
pickup bed, so really don't need the pickup.

--
Stupendous Man,