AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mixing Green /Yellow/ Orange antifreeze (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=59573)

Masospaghetti March 15th 06 11:57 PM

Mixing Green /Yellow/ Orange antifreeze

I'm pretty much aware that mixing Orange (Dexcool) and regular green
antifreeze is a bad idea.

However, what about the new "universal" extended life formulas that are
yellowish in color? They advertise that they can mix with any other
antifreeze. The dude at Napa said that they won't mix. Who should I believe?

March 16th 06 12:31 AM

"Masospaghetti" > wrote in message
> I'm pretty much aware that mixing Orange (Dexcool) and regular green
> antifreeze is a bad idea.
>
> However, what about the new "universal" extended life formulas that are
> yellowish in color? They advertise that they can mix with any other
> antifreeze. The dude at Napa said that they won't mix. Who should I

believe?

The NAPA dude doesn't really know. He is saying what he thinks, and what
will protect his ass.

I would prefer not to mix the species. I think that some CAN be mixed, but
if
I am going to change, I am going to flush the block and the radiator, and
add
all new coolant. It is just a cleaner way to do things.

Hugo Schmeisser March 17th 06 02:21 AM

Masospaghetti wrote:

> I'm pretty much aware that mixing Orange (Dexcool) and regular green
> antifreeze is a bad idea.
>
> However, what about the new "universal" extended life formulas that
> are yellowish in color? They advertise that they can mix with any
> other antifreeze. The dude at Napa said that they won't mix. Who
> should I believe?

I found this page recently. It may help.
http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf